Rewaterproofing advice

rarepleasures

Nickwax spray but nylon waterproofs are only waterproof because they have a plastic coating welded onto the inside.

Waterproofing acts by swelling natural fibers and trapping the waterproof compound (wax or silicone) in the fiber threads stopping them shrinking back down which is what allows the moisture to penetrate as the natural oils or wax dry out

Coating the nylon wont do that as its a waterproof fibre but it will shed any water faster but do nothing to stop water creeping through if it sits in a puddle say on your lap ,as nylon is waterproof itself nothing will penetrate it to swell it up and as its not a natural fiber its not possible to weave it small enough to block water hense the impermiable barrier it needs to stop water going through it

The seams generally use a tape to seal them inside but if the seam is damaged and you can spot the exact place tent seam sealer will stop some of it by resealing the area but its hit and miss as water can travel to the area within the seam

Nost nylon has a good UV life but the first plastic barrier does not so it eventually breaks down after a few years even in our climate so the material has a far shorter life than decent canvas that can last nearly 50 years if looked after but unlike cotton you can put nylon things away damp and they rarely rot ,canvas damp will rot away in a week!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...