Fishing strong tides from the shore.

Guest @Winter@

Guest @Winter@

If you fish somewhere with an extreme tide from the shore how would you let your line lay ?? Would you let a large bow develop like uptiding or go with a straight line. Im not talking about normal tideflows but thinking of places like the bristol channel or that place where tuggs lives which has very strong tide flow.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the good beach fishing books I own suggest fishing as if you were uptiding, letting a bow develop. They say most bites will set the tip springing back and most of the better fish hook themselves.

I have tried it but the tides int the areas I fish don't seem strong enough.

The authors of the books where i have read of it seem to be from the south east and anglia, where I gather they get more tide than the north east.

I imagine it would work great in the Bristol Channel, and in fact might be your only chance of holding bottom.

I usually cast a little up tide so hopefully my tackle ends up close to somewhere in front of me and then let out a bow of line as necessary to hold bottom.

Indeed as Geoof says on some tides and venues it is the only way to hold bottom and most of your bites from anything bigger than a real tiddler will be tap, tap, big drop back type bites.

Edited by chappers

definately let a bow develop for up here ;) the amount of fish i don't connect with when trying the straight line is unreal it is almost 99% missed! with a bow i can connect to at least 80% of bites :)

When fishing in a very strong tide, we walk up the beach and cast. Then walk back to your rod rest and then let a big bow of line out. You need plenty of room on the beach to fish like it. If the beach is busy it is a nightmare and probably not worth the aggro.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

If you have a straight or direct line between your lead and rod tip, the strength of the tide on some beaches will roll the lead round. If you cast uptide and allow some slack line before putting your rod in the rest, the tide takes the line rather than the lead and has the effect of pulling the lead into the sea bed. When a fish takes the tension between the lead and rod is released and the tip springs back. Where I live its usually enough to cast uptide and put your rod in the rest without tightening to the lead, then as the tide pulls the line round the rod tip tensions itself, then hopefully after a few minutes it springs back !

A bow of line lessens the angle between your line and your lead, having the effect of pulling your lead into the seabed better, its more to do with the up and downness of your line in the water column not the lateral position.

A line straight down to your weight will have the full force of the tide pushing against it for virtually the whole length of the line in the water.

If you let out a bow of line then the pressure on the line is lessened along most of the line as the tide hits it at a more oblique angle.

Depends a bit on the strength. I normally don't have to go full uptide style but will walk up the beach perhaps 30 yards or more. There is a place in Suffolk where they talk of 11oz leads and sometimes more. Luckily it is deep close in. I've just bought a rough ground rod for big sea and strong tide conditions, which will be ideal for fixed lead use.

Depends a bit on the strength. I normally don't have to go full uptide style but will walk up the beach perhaps 30 yards or more. There is a place in Suffolk where they talk of 11oz leads and sometimes more. Luckily it is deep close in. I've just bought a rough ground rod for big sea and strong tide conditions, which will be ideal for fixed lead use.

I heard they were using 11oz leads at Aldeburgh and Orford NB. All I can say is I've fished Orford on spring tides and never had to use more than 6oz.