Carp

severus

Carp article.

Not sure if this has been posted in another form before, but it's an accurate story nevertheless. I know of no one in my area who actively target carp as a sport fish, probably because they're considered inedible bottom-feeders. Plus, there are many other species and time is limited. Still, they do put up a terrific fight and are fairly easy to catch when targeted. I can think of several other species that put up less struggle.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That brings back memories.

Are the Carp Anglers Group still going? At the time of my last membership year they seemed to be heading for self inflicted meltdown.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

That brings back memories.

Are the Carp Anglers Group still going? At the time of my last membership year they seemed to be heading for self inflicted meltdown.

Why of course CAG are still going - at least here in the States. My hubby was the North Carolina top dog for awhile. I actually enjoy carp fishing. Newt casts the rod and then puts them in pole holders. I fish for my little fish - blue gill, sun fish, etc and I get the fun of battling with a 15-20 pound fish. We don't eat the stupid things :o - it's the fun of catching those big suckers! :P

Severus,

1. Carp are edible.

2. They do not feed solely on the bottom.

3. They are not fairly easy to catch.

Jan,

"We don't eat the stupid things - it's the fun of catching those big suckers!"

In one sentence you just summed up the whole UK carp scene :)

Sorry to rant but one more thing....carp are not pollution loving as stated in the article, the fact is that they can tolerate low oxygen levels in water, no fish loves pollution.

Edited by Ian FG

I very much agree with Ian. Except for one point. Carp are fairly easy to catch. At least they are on waters that don't practice catch and release. Here they don't get a chance to learn, except by watchng their fellows disappear.

Neither are they exactly difficult on our overstocked carp puddles where they have to eat anglers' baits/groundbaits just to survive!

Carp are very worthy opponents, although perhaps some UK anglers go too far in elevating them way above other species. Of course some trout and salmon anglers have long done the same with their favourite quarry.

I wish the US carp anglers the best of luck in changing attitudes. Most US anglers seem to adopt a hunting approach - here stalking carp with floaters would give them a lot of excitement. The trapping approach may appeal more to those who prefer a more sedentary sport. These may or may not be the same anglers though who now hunt their quarry with artificial lures.

Even though the percentage of US anglers targetting carp is relatively small, there are vastly more anglers over there than in the UK. In fact I was told some while back that the US carp tackle market was already bigger than our's!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Carp are fairly easy to catch.
Steve - I have to wonder about that whole 'easy to catch' thing.

I read from fellow carpers in other areas how easy theirs are to catch and how many they usually manage in a day's outing. I have no reason to disbelieve them although I do have to say that my showing up to fish must place the kiss of death on their waters since the totals are usually quite low when I'm there.

I fish several large lakes that hold good populations of carp. Easy enough to be sure of that since I can see enough of them in the margins during the spawn to know we have lots. However, for me they are hard to catch.

Bait a spot for a month or bait a spot for a week or bait the day I'm fishing and I still will usually manage only 1 or 2 or maybe as many as 5 fish during a day.

I thought for a long while it was my baits or rigs or something but I've now had enough experienced carpers visit and fish with me to know that for some reason, my waters are hard when it comes to carping. I can even be fishing where there are lots of carp topping all over an area where I have 3-4 different baits out.

Several thousand acres of good water. Plenty of bass, crappie, bluegills, etc. being caught. No angling pressure on carp since there are usually from zero to 2-3 carpers on the water on a given day.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Carp are very clever, very cautious fish. When I was a kid we would see them basking in the sun in our local lake but we thought they were uncatchable.

Years later people invented boilies, hair rigs, bolt rigs bivvies, pods, monkey climbers, unhooking mats, buzz bars, bite alarms, bait boats, bait runners, week long sessions etc. etc. etc. to catch them - it should be said that none of these methods are required to catch other fish.

So are they easy to catch? Sure, if you have a week to spare and all the latest baits/rigs/tackle.

All the above applies only to natural stocked densities of fish.

Newt,

Carp are very clever, very cautious fish. When I was a kid we would see them basking in the sun in our local lake but we thought they were uncatchable.

Years later people invented boilies, hair rigs, bolt rigs bivvies, pods, monkey climbers, unhooking mats, buzz bars, bite alarms, bait boats, bait runners, week long sessions etc. etc. etc. to catch them - it should be said that none of these methods are required to catch other fish.

So are they easy to catch? Sure, if you have a week to spare and all the latest baits/rigs/tackle.

All the above applies only to natural stocked densities of fish.

And so speaks a non carp angler :(. None of the above makes carp easier to catch and all of those could be used for more or less any species of fish. This is off topic but I'll just state that baits, rigs and tackle do not make a good or even a profficient angler.

Rob.

I'm not sure if they are 'easy' or not. I have never went out to catch a carp and not caught one.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have never went out to catch a carp and not caught one.

Whew - I surely have and more than once. :blink:

:):)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President