choo choo, Fairbrass edits his comments!

Worms

Would I seek to impose what I prefer (or what is good for my business) on as many people as possible? No, I don't think so. I suppose I might buy a few places to preserve them as they are, if they were under threat. Is that the same? Dunno, I suppose it is, in the same sense that what the National Trust does to the countryside is the same as what Barratt or Wimpey does to it.

• Like 2

gozzer,

You're going to have to stop making assumptions about """"even if that thing is bad for angling as a whole"""". By what right or benefit do you get to decide?

Phone

I could start by asking what right you have to tell me what I should, or should not, do. :lol:

I don't assume any personal 'right' Phone. I just use logic, experience, and facts to make a decision, and then act on that. There are no thoughts of financial gain, in my motives, unlike many others, just a thought for the future of angling, and the environment, of this country.

The project in question is based on only one section of angling, that's the one that has made Mr Fairbrass a wealthy man, and able to attempt this project. By singling out the alleged 'otter problem', and engaging the help of the PAG, he is playing on the fears, (unproven), of the carp anglers. You only have to scan a few carp only forums to see what I mean. It seems that you believe, as Stephen appears to, that to do anything, no matter how damaging it might be, is better than not doing anything. Also the fact that he's doing this as an 'entrepreneur', just looking to expand his business seems to be a valid excuse to some, not in my mind it doesn't, the 'success at all costs' ideal is something I find abhorrent. I know this is against the current political opinion, but there you go.

Angling in the UK has changed a lot in the last 30yrs, I'm not against change per say, but not all change is good change, not just in my opinion, but for angling and the environment in general. For that change to be made almost exclusively for financial reasons, regardless of cost in other areas, doesn't sit right with me. There are enough waters in the UK to accommodate all disciplines, all that I want is that choice to be equally available to all, (subject to local conditions), and to be in tune with the natural flora and fauna.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Would I seek to impose what I prefer (or what is good for my business) on as many people as possible? No, I don't think so. I suppose I might buy a few places to preserve them as they are, if they were under threat. Is that the same? Dunno, I suppose it is, in the same sense that what the National Trust does to the countryside is the same as what Barratt or Wimpey does to it.

Steve, your a well principled chap and better then most. I do like your comparison to the National Trust and Barratt and Wimpey. Many would argue that what the National Trust does is not always the best choice and that their views are often rather blinkered.

You could also take a point of view that the likes of Wimpey are doing what the majority of people want i.e build more houses. Does the benefit of the many outway the views of the few. I don't really know. Old Danny is giving the many what they want.

What is best for fishing is never going to be best for the environment.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Angling in the UK has changed a lot in the last 30yrs

It certainly has. The "style" of fishing has changed dramatically with the massive increase in stocked fisheries and the decline in numbers of people angling "natural" waters.

Ironically, the last thirty years has seen a significant rise in fish eating predators...I've spent quite a while trying to find any figures for stocked fishery increases since the 80s but have had no luck...I'll bet a pound that predator number increase has followed stocked fishery increase very closely though!

The call now is to have more stocked fisheries and manage (kill...PAG) the predators. It makes no sense, it is a money making business...and a big one. Unfortunately it is having an effect on our natural ecosystems.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

and to be in tune with the natural flora and fauna.

I like that idea but the reality is once man gets involved it will not be in the best interest of the enviroment, oddly those fish would rather not get caught at all. There are very few waters run with a major consideration to what is best for the local ecosystem and environment. The best thing anglers can do for the enviroment is not go fishing.

As far as I know Fairbrass has not ruined any waters yet, all that lack of choice that he is often blamed for has been done by others. He may well be a member of a few clubs but it was not him voting to dump a tonne of F1's and skimmers in to hundreds of club waters up and down the country trashing loads of mixed fisheries. Angling managed to get its self where we are now, long before Fairbrass came up with his scheme.

We are where we are because of what lots of people in angling wanted.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Still playing the "otter card" though I see. Shame he has dropped the nuscence (im never going to be able to spell this word!) fish as it showed the true colours. Fishery managers are getting very nervous about this and none carpers on "fallow waters" starting to worry as well. Like I initially said (first thread) Mr F has the ability to give such a project a very realistic chance of succeeding. I wish he was just a numpty but clearly hes not :(

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

We are where we are because of what lots of people in angling wanted.

Or, what lots of people started angling for....the easy chance to catch lots of big fish without having to put in much effort!

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

What is best for fishing is never going to be best for the environment.

That depends on tastes, Stephen - I would argue that what is best for the environment is best for fishing, though it might not be best for catching.
  • Like 3

That depends on tastes, Stephen - I would argue that what is best for the environment is best for fishing, though it might not be best for catching.

And I so want that to be true but many and I name and shame myself here would want to mold things to what is good for me. I would never want to do what Fairbrass is doing but I would and do want stuff that is good for me but not the environment.

Given the choice to bring back weed killer, I would want it back straight away. I would gladly use it, is that good for the environment? It's certainly good for fishing.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007