don't know what to say

noah

Had a similar situation some 10 years ago when a distant relative was killed working for my dad.

The family of the girl will turn on anyone connected with the event if they feel that they may be in any way to blame. That's to be expected and most of us would react the same way. Just express your sympathy to the family and keep your head down.

Let the police get on with investigating but make sure you get a written lucid account of the event from your driver NOW. If you know any witnesses then do the same with them if possible.

Do not leave it for later as you will need as much info as possible if you might need to defend yourself or your company in court.(I dont know if your the transport manager or a director of the company or not).

Your insurance co should help with getting the info required together.

Make sure all your vehicles details are in order and copy everything before letting the police take it. Make notes of all the things the police request etc.

Hang in there and avoid the press beyond the 'sympathy' & 'helping the police statements'.

& Make sure someone keeps a close eye on your driver - keep him out of the pub and at home or in the office.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today has been alot easyer and there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. The department of transport has been up and given the workshop a good going over and that seemed to fair ok. A few problems were picked up and they seemed happy with the vehicle repair and inspetion records.

I am the transport manager for the company and the owner is strugling to cope which is not suprising. Corporate man slaughter charges are being looked into at the moment but I think that all that could be done to prevent such an accident was.

The mood of the work force has picked up and the initial anguish from the local people seems to have calmed down.

It's strange but when the chips are down it is suprising how people react to help out. And it always seems to be the last persone you would expect.

The driver of the vehical was Polish and loved the job here. Unfortunatly there was two of them working for us, both were realy decent blokes and they were here through an agency. Both have been whisked away this afternoon and nobody knows where they have gone. The one who didn't have the accident has been told to come back in about two years and we will have a job for him.

It' a shame that an inocent has to suffer in such a way. Unfortunatly all polish drivers in the area will be tared with the same brush.

We are waiting for the dreaded tachograph inspection now, when they turn up will be the real headache. Drivers hours are a mine field as any psv/hgv driver will know. But I'm sure that things will work out one way or another.

As I understand it it's your company or you're the boss. My only comment is that I guess you have a difficult pastoral responsibility to the driver. He must be feeling absolutely dreadful. You're feeling bad enough, when it wasn't even your fault. It could well be that he's getting hate mail and all sorts. Yet he's probably been a loyal person over the years who's made a terrible mistake.

The only (limited) advice (as a vicar who sees many bereaved people) I can give about this type of situation is that you feel absolutely helpless and that you've nothing to give, but you have to get in there and not ignore the person. I don't fully understand the set-up, of course, so this is only a general principle. You'd be welcome to phone if you wanted to [Phone number deleted - unfortunately it's not a good idea to give out phone numbers on public forums, there's too many idiots out there :( Best keep initial contact through pm or email :) ], or PM me, though I only log on about once a day.

Another small thing. The first emotions people experience in a bereavement are shock, guilt and anger. Sometimes they project the anger at whoever is nearest, and then realise later it was unjustified, which may explain what the family said to you.

I'll be thinking of you, noah, like everyone else.

john clarke