shore angling Fuerteventura

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi

Searched the forums for old threads and PMed a few people off them - many thanks to those who replied.

I will be in Fuerteventrura for a week in March (with the family so fishing will be limited) and really want to have a go at the barracuda that reputedly hang around outside the harbours waiting for passing mullet.

Has anyone caught one there or on any of the Canary Islands and if so how!

I plan to bring an Exage rod, light reel loaded with braid, and some plugs but mostly bright spoons and the like. I've bought some light wire to make up traces and I know livebaiting is used locally but would prefer to avoid it if I could. Someone mentioned the option of float fishing a whole squid - anyone tried that?

Any help really appreciated as this will probably be my last chance for a while to land a big toothy crittur!

Thanks

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Hi

Searched the forums for old threads and PMed a few people off them - many thanks to those who replied.

I will be in Fuerteventrura for a week in March (with the family so fishing will be limited) and really want to have a go at the barracuda that reputedly hang around outside the harbours waiting for passing mullet.

Has anyone caught one there or on any of the Canary Islands and if so how!

I plan to bring an Exage rod, light reel loaded with braid, and some plugs but mostly bright spoons and the like. I've bought some light wire to make up traces and I know livebaiting is used locally but would prefer to avoid it if I could. Someone mentioned the option of float fishing a whole squid - anyone tried that?

Any help really appreciated as this will probably be my last chance for a while to land a big toothy crittur!

Thanks

Hi kieran,

I have caught a few Barracuda from the shore in Florida and if the ones that you are after grow large then I would not go too lightly on the wire as they have dentures to fear!! Also make sure that you have a decent sized reel with a good clutch, if you don't fancy livebaiting then they will take deadbaits or a large plug such as the Rapala Magnum. Good luck and I would say that a glove and some long nose pliers are a must! :o

Live to fish!!

Hi Kieran,

I started reasearching this myself before Christmas but didn't get very far either.

For what it's worth, theres a Spanish fishing forum here: http://www.caranx.net/forums/index.php?act=idx. Scroll down and there you'll find the English section with a translation on how to register.

Remiss of me, but I haven't taken it much further myself but there are clearly a number of ex-pats contributing and you may get some useful info.

Hope it helps

PS: Please keep us posted - I'm keen on investigating the Canaries myself.

Edited by habilis

Hi Captain

Yep, been in touch with Abe, one of the caranx moderators and he has given me contact details for when I arrive... just my Spanish is worse than his English so we could be communicating in sign language :rolleyes::D Balebfish from Altavista is very handy - you can translate a piece of text from Spanish to English and vice versa and then use this to understand and also post on the spanish language forums. The english language forums there are a little on the thin side in terms of the content etc.

Thanks m8; have magnums, light wire, VMC trebles, lots of heavy spoons and other metal lures ordered - will bring a few rapalas etc. with me but I've been warned the cudas will destroy wooden lures! :blink:

again, any assistance welcome

kieran, if you get any spanish info that you need a translation for just let me know.

best wishes dave. :)

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org