Wingham Catch Reports and Thanks 2014

Steve Burke

Well done everyone, we are in the USA, otherwise we would have popped down to see you all, The Highlight of our fishing so far has been Sue catching a Turtle on lobworm, still it was less messy than an Eel and easier to unhook.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Congratulations to those who caught tench (any tench) and perch of 2 lb or more. Very difficult conditions (bright days, cold nights)

By the same token, no disgrace in blanking.

Special congratulations to Maddog on a hat-trick of 3 lb perch - what in Victorian times would have been described as "a leash of perch". If I failed to look extremely impressed when you told me about the first one, it was because this deaf old bugger only heard the words "pound" and "perch" :):)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Many thanks Steve B for giving me a place at the Fish-in and many thanks to all the bailiff team who put a lot in to making the event happen. As a man who loves his food a big thank you to Steve Campbell for the Bacon sandwich on arrival, just the thing to kick start the weekend. A massive thank you to Peggy, it was a hot weekend and to be stuck behind a BBQ can not have been much fun but she kept as well fed as usual.

One more thank you to Dave (Vagabond) for the tackle auction as I now have a new toy to play with.

I will not bore you with my fishing tactics as It just did not happen for me. I was after the eels and blanked out big time with not a single eel to my name. Picked up 2 random Pike at 10lb 2oz & 6lb 8oz but overall I had a shocker. Not being able to catch an eel at Wingham is rather tragic. Oh well as usual the good company and crack and ambiance of the place made it a good weekend.

I spoke to Budgie on Saturday and suggestef that after these heavy floods perhaps the eels in the Carp lake have moved on in which he thought was a good point. It may not be the case i am only trying to find a reason. You have caught some nice eels over the fish ins over many years and to blank for them that sounds like they have done a Houdini. Sorry you never caught but atleast the weather was nice :)

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Fistly can I thank everyone involved with this years fish in, no matter how hard the fishing the aura of this place alone is worth the visit.

Thanks for putting me in a fabulous swim Steve apologies for not making better use of it. ( BTW I did not have a 3lb Perch Steve- I had 2 x 2lb Perch and one slightly bigger @ 2lb 4oz and a smaller one) .

Tackle auction- what a great Idea,well done Dave.

Edited by KAYC

I spoke to Budgie on Saturday and suggestef that after these heavy floods perhaps the eels in the Carp lake have moved on in which he thought was a good point. It may not be the case i am only trying to find a reason. You have caught some nice eels over the fish ins over many years and to blank for them that sounds like they have done a Houdini. Sorry you never caught but atleast the weather was nice :)

I like that theory, it's so much better then I was not good enough to catch them :-). If it's true then I am extra grateful to Steve for allowing me to target them at the last few Fish-Ins, it will be interesting to see if any are reported later on in the year by the Carpers.

With a bit of luck, maybe after years of dodging boilies and being bored to death over hearing long discussions about pucka rigs by the Carp boys they decided its time for an upgrade and have moved across from the Carp pool to the big main lake.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Si and KAYC - apologies and now corrected.

I'm shattered so will post final returns up later.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Many thanks to Steve, Peggy and the baliffs for making the fish-in happen.

Jo and I always look forward to the annual pilgrimage to Wonderful Wingham.

I didn't manage a Tench this time but I had great fun catching a few perch (and a pike) in the margin using my Trudex 'pin

Steve has the photos of my new pb Perch of 3-5. Here are a few others.

3 - 0

20140517_163121.jpg

3 - 02

IMG_0369_zpsbae389b2.jpg?t=1400581038

20140519_110737_zpsa8dcbc21.jpg

Here is one of Steve's very nice photos (thanks Steve) of my new PB Perch 3 - 05

3-05perchLHSMay2013_zps0d517626.jpg?t=14

Edited by Maddog
  • Like 2

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

A massive thanks for Steve for letting us back again, I love this place :)

Thanks to all those that made it possible, you can see how much effort you guys put in, the place looks immaculate.

Fishing was hard but we managed to winkle out a tench of 6lb 8oz. A lovely plump fish and fought hard in the margins. We had plenty of bleeps on the alarms and dips on the float but for whatever reason the fish seemed to be always passing.

I have put together a little video, 2mins. I will have to plan it abit more next time to capture the story a little better but hopefully it allows others to see the beauty of this magical place. Watch on youtube for the 1080 version :)

I was thinking about finding somewhere to stick the GoPro to take some time lapse video, but never got round to it. I am glad I avoided the disappointment of comparing my results to yours, that is brilliant!
  • Like 1

I better put in my input for the Anglersnet fish ins. Some of you know and a lot of you won't know this. Just recently I have to gave up on my main job for two reasons - 1) My illness on the right lower leg of cellulitis which is very painful and sore. 2) That mother was diagnose with a rare form of dementia - in fact it called non fluent aphasia - I won't go into details of this but you can look it up!

My journey down to Wingham started early last Thursday morning - the traffic was too bad as I expect much worse! I arrived at the clubhouse after stopping at Chartham (to get myself some bait for the fishing) just after 1pm - with nobody around that went into the clubhouse to see what was happen on the carp lake and also the coarse lake.

Budgie turn up a few minutes later ( also another good timing) and was told that there was an sudden change in the pegging on the carp lake. Instead going in left and right orchid because there was another carp angler already fishing in the left orchid. Budgie already opted to fish the Point peg! I didn't fancy my chances in the side of the point peg as already fished the peg few year ago.

I asked Budgie to think about for allowed me to fish the right point for a couple of night using and sleeping in his massive JRC quad continental xl bivvy - and it is absolutely massive! He didn't mind it as long I had to set it up!!!! (always a catch isn't one!) I even got a text message from Glyn who was fishing in the (Church Bay peg) taking the mickey that needed a planning permission to set the bivvy up!

My fishing plan was to fish for carp in the daytime and then fish for eels at night by changing the hooks - hooklenghts by using the quick change swivels. So for the carping was to use a method which caught me well for the tench in the past when fishing as an member of Wingham. This method is something similar to the maggot clip but I don't use a maggot clip - just a simple rig ring - then threading on 15-25 maggots onto an bait floss and tie it up - which create a ball of maggot! This was placed in a PVA bag filled with maggots.

My tackle was 3 x Jrc Skylinner carp rods at 2.75lb Test Curve and 12ft long armed with the old Shimano Longcast reels with braided mainline. the PVA was esp perforated and was deliver on the Anchor Bait Delivery system. By then Steve Burke just pop in to say a few words about the fish ins and things to do!

So with all three rod baited up and cast out and I sat waited in my chair as the night went in - but the moon came out and lit the place up - it wasn't cold at night as I expected to be.

By then must have drifted of to sleep - but still got my receiver in my hand! As the night went on there was no movement, no bleeps from bite alarms but the only sound was the birds chirping away and the noisy frogs croaking!

Next morning it was our usual tasks to get the clubhouse ready before other angler/guest arrived on Saturday morning. My main task the to help Glyn with the 4 piles of broken hard core which was left on the main road track from the previous work on the road. I told Glyn to stay in the tractor as he was in no state to work! This took me around 40min to hour to clear up - shovelling the hard core into the bucket of the digger! Then the Hard core had to be dump and back again to refill the hard core! When the road track was done - my next job was to get bait for Anderoo (Andy Walker) - so I went into Sandwich Coarse Fisheries to get the bait which was a couple miles up the road.

By the time I got back to the clubhouse there was more clearing up to do - like the kitchen, showers, toilets, and the garden chairs was wash down and clean.

By the time "we" finish cleaning up I was so shattered that wasn't sure to fish on or sleep, but I decided to fish on again until 1am again the moon came out and again - no bleeps and movement on the carp lake.

At 5am on Saturday morning it was time for me to move out the Point peg and into the Left Orchid peg but it was also a quick visit to the clubhouse to have an shower, a quick sandwich from our Master Chef - Steve Campbell and an cup of tea from Budgie missus - Jo

Then it was time for move into the Left Orchid - again fish it a few times and again did caught eels in the past but never a carp!

After an hour of carefully using the depth marker to find the clear spot as there was a present of weed about. It was matter getting the bait in the clear area. Again carping in the daytime and eeling at night was my plan. The weather turn out to be a very nice warm and even got a bit of red on my forehead! Jo went to the clubhouse to cook a nice chicken casserole which I really enjoyed.

But nigh time was my biggest challenge because I must have been bitten around 25 times from the mosquitos as I forgot to pack my mosquito spray! ( Not going to make the same mistake next time!)

Again no movement until 8 minutes past two in the morning that had a bleep and another bleep from my delkims on the left rods which was baited in the shallow water on the left of me. I stood beside of my bedchair just case a run occur but it never happen. I sat in the chair inside my bivvy waiting for the run occur. I gave up and about to get into bed again when the same rod bleep again. Again nothing happen. Again the moon was out again!

Sunday Morning was woken up to see ac couple of carp near the surface - out changing the rigs to get son zig bug going but only to find didn't packed my zig bugs but had pop up boilie will do the trick - out it went and left it. It been in the water for four hours and was time for the BBQ again.

As always the famous BBQ was done by Peggy Burke and again always the food tasted good.

After the BBQ - I was thinking of leaving the zigs out for the rest of the day and through the night as well, but the weather was chilly at night and even had three field mouse for my company at the peg!

The rest of the night was very quiet so I decide to called it a day as it wasn't going happen to catch a fish that day!

I slowly pack up the fishing trailer and left the clubhouse around 5pm after having chat on various things involving Wingham!

I saw Anthony and Cliff was packing the car up as I left the clubhouse. On the way back on the M25 near Heathrow where got a pip of the horn to find Ant and Cliff overtook me and Cliff was waving at me - which made me laugh a bit . I got home around 9pm in the evening to find that been bombardment with emails and letters to with my carers side.

I would like to say a thank you to the Bailiffs - Budgie?(only joking bruv) but for Glyn and Terry for those hard work they do at Wingham and the place never be the same with out them.

Another thank you for Steve Campbell for the Master Chef Bacon sandwich as always!

A biggest thanks for Peggy Burke for cooking the wonderful BBQ on Sunday and Monday

And finally a biggest thanks for Steve Burke for allowing me to help out with the bailiffs and again fishing on the carp lake again.

• Like 3

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/