Angling at its Best

sam-cox

Fishing alone, hmmm... yes i have done so, i really dont know if i prefer it or not...

Excusing the fact that i have a mind that likes to play tricks on me when im on my tod (not so much in daylight - very much so in darkness!!!) i just really enjoy the company of fishing with pals. I find it so much more enjoyable when its a sociable event where everyone can chill, learn from each other etc etc. The odd times when its nothing but the sound of the waves as company are nice too i suppose.

Tight Lines

Shaun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing alone, hmmm... yes i have done so, i really dont know if i prefer it or not...

Excusing the fact that i have a mind that likes to play tricks on me when im on my tod (not so much in daylight - very much so in darkness!!!) i just really enjoy the company of fishing with pals. I find it so much more enjoyable when its a sociable event where everyone can chill, learn from each other etc etc. The odd times when its nothing but the sound of the waves as company are nice too i suppose.

I know what you mean about the old imagination Shaun.

I was told of a beach mark that was producing a few bigger Cod one year. I had never fished it before so I wrote down the directions without paying too much attention to what I was being told. I deceided to fish it one night when the tide and weather all fell into place, unfortunately it was midweek so none of my mates could come along.

Anyway, this mark involved a very, very long walk. When I arrived I found I was the only soul on a very remote beach. It was miles from any form of atificial light so my whole field of vision was just the small circle of light around my lamp. I tackled up and cast out and it wasn't long before I caught the first Cod of the session. It was a great mark. But then I stated to hear something moving around on the shingle behind me. I got up and had a look round with my lamp, thinking it might be a seal or something. There was nothing there! Still I kept hearing this thing crunching around on the shingle behind me. In the end, I became more preoccupied with the noises than I was with my fishing, until in the end it became almost unbearable! I got myself worked up so much that I had to pack up, even though I'd landed 4 good Cod and was still getting bites!

I took a friend back to that mark a year later. He was 6' 4" and, as I found out, a complete coward! We both heard the noises on the shingle again and he wanted to pack up, but feeling a bit braver with him there I insisted that we carry on fishing!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Excusing the fact that i have a mind that likes to play tricks on me when im on my tod (not so much in daylight - very much so in darkness!!!)

I'm glad it's not just me. I fish on my own a fair bit, because like Sam, I'm self employed and don't have a conventional workday. I remember fishing just off the carpark at The Butts in Felixstowe one night and I couldn't get this image of Jason (?), the horror movie guy with the white mask, climbing up over the wall.

Ended up going home in the end. :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

when i was a good bit younger! fishing the beach at night on my own i convinced my self that the

sploosh splooshing of the wave on the other side of a break water i was fishing was infact a dead body!

i packed up and was off!

weird isnt it you know its irrational but some how it takes a grip!

have a bit more control of my imagination thes days (probly down to giving up the canabis lol)

fish alone most of the time this is due to non of my mates being into fishing more than anything!

tho do prefer it when i drag one along or take my nephew! just coz it makes a chaing

I was fishing Bradwell Creek one evening, it was October time 10pm and dark.

I noticed these green lights dancing what looked like just above the surface.

In the end I packed up and drove to my Dads house, he laughed but offered to drive me back down there so I could show him.

It turned out to be the reflction from the Green Man public house,es green lights, caught on the ripple.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Fishing at Princess Parade Hythe one dark evening as the tide was coming in, I was standing someway up the beach when I heard something coming towards me through the pebbles from the direction of the surf.

Squinting as hard as I could I couldn't see anything as the noise grew louder and nearer.

It was like something out of a B movie, the hairs were beginning to stand up on the back of my neck.

Then a weight and trace trundled past!

At Hythe, at high tide, the sea comes up the sea-wall and many set up on the pavement, casting over the beach as the sea comes nearer.

Someone had set up directly behind me and cast right over my head!

Sam, fishing out of West Mersea on a Dad's dinghy at night, many years ago, we spotted a light in the water.

Thinking it might be one of those lights attached to life-jackets we motored over, whilst Dad's mate Stan muttered 'I've never seen anything like that'.

Turned out to be a marker light set on a herring drift net. We were lucky not to foul the prop.

But the light I never did get an explanation for was when I had been chub fishing into darkness on the River Medway below Teston Bridge.

There is no access to the far side, but I spotted a light, miles from anywhere just above the surface, under the bushes overhanging the river on the far bank, about the same brightness as a candle.

I simply couldn't make out what it was, get to it, or guess it's purpose.

There was absolutely no one else around.

I believe that they used to call them 'Will o'Wisps' in days of yore.

Tight Lines - leon

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Many years ago I had dropped the girlfriend at home after a night out and then decided to do a night session. Access to the venue was across the field down the side of the church.

Half way across the field a 1" red light suddenly appeared about twenty yards in front of me about 3 inches from the ground. This single light was quickly followed by a second one about 12" verticaly above it! Scared is not the word to describe how I felt.

These lights then momentarily disapeared and reappeared arranged horizontally about 6 feet above ground! At this stage i dropped my gear and sprinted back to the car and locked myself in.

When my heartrated had returned to a near normal level I decided to investigate feeling much braver with a torch in one hand and a wheel brace in the other. Turned out I had woken a sleeping horse, which opened one eye, then the other then stood up! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

A number of times I've been been fishing alone on beaches at night and had that 'hair standing up on the back of your neck' feeling, when hearing approaching footsteps and seeing low dancing lights. It turns out to be foxes, or one some occassions badgers. Once I had the company of a fox most of the session - he was very interested in the bait I think and sat down quite near me and regarded me hopefully - just like one of my own dogs would.

I really enjoy fishing in company, but I also love fishing alone. My best bass have always been caught when alone. As others have hinted, this may be because I'm a bit more prepared (or mad) than some of my freinds, to go when i think the fish are there - unfortunately they often have a time-table quite different to us.

My youngest is showing a strong interest in fishing - I hope she will catch her first bass this year - she seems determined ....

Char_1.jpg?

Edited by RichardB
DON'T PANIC