Saltwater & Pike Fly tackle - what line rating?

fishfinder

Can anyone out there advise me on how heavy my fly gear needs to be to turn over a decent sized pike flY?

According to Fox, you need an 11 weight rod and reel - I've got one but find it really heavy work.

Ron Thompson sell an 8/9 weight rod designed for pike / saltwater fly fishing. In other peoples experience, will an 8/9 weight rod turn over a pike fly, or will it be a struggle?

The reason for my asking, is that I want to buy an 8/9 weight outfit for saltwater bass fishing (bass flies are quite a bit smaller than Pike flies), and if the 8/9 is suitable for both salt and pike, that means I can sell off my 11 weight outfit!

Also, do I just need an intermediate line, or should I oppt for floating, sinking and intermediate?

Ron Thompson sell an 8/9 weight rod designed for pike / saltwater fly fishing. In other peoples experience, will an 8/9 weight rod turn over a pike fly, or will it be a struggle?

Also, do I just need an intermediate line, or should I oppt for floating, sinking and intermediate?

Yes. an 8/9 weight will be fine.

Lines depend on the depth of the water and if you want to fish one of those deer hair pike flies booby-style.

Having said that, I usually just use a floater.

• 2 weeks later...