Electric Blue

Alan Taylor

Alan, I realised after reading your last posting you were to be 'en route' & eels must wait for another trip!

Hope you all had a great weekend & nice to put some faces to the 'handles' (although maybe not!) :D

Thanks for the welcome Fri eve all, hope to join one of your outings one day!

Looking forward to the full report - you were really lucky with the weather - predicted good storm came in last night 1/2 day late!

Tog.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Taylor:

but don't want to brag.

Alan you are being too modest .

This from a chap who had ten bass (yes folks, TEN bass) that first day, whilst the rest of us had twos and threes each. Clearly he knew something the rest of us did not.

I've caught bass on sand eels throughout my fishing life, and have always accepted that you hook some, you lose some.

Alan was like a star competitor on mastermind - ten runs, ten bass, and no passes.

Needless to say, that Saturday evening I made sure I had a chat with Alan re mounting sand eels, and he kindly gave me a few of his special hooks. I won't steal his thunder on how he mounts his baits.

The second day we had no sand eels, and scad and joeys were hard to come by. So we spent less time after bass than on the first day, and ended up with only three bass in the boat, two to Norrie and one to me.

Over the two days Norma had four tope runs on her bass rigs, followed by bite-offs. One, on Sunday afternoon was a really classic run - must have gone fifty yards at high speed before the inevitable happened. With hindsight, I should have rephrased my prophecy that "the biggest bass" would come to Norma's bait, to read "the biggest fish".

Also with hindsight, we should have persuaded her to rig for tope in the first place - tope make short work of 15 lb Kristalite bass hooklinks :( Next time......

I think Spasor had at least one other tope run apart from the one he got to the boat, and I had a small shark follow my mackerel bait to the surface (Rob the skipper thought it might have been a baby thresher - it certainly looked very long and thin) so there were plenty of predators about.

Speaking of predators, we ran out of food on the Saturday afternoon ('cos Norrie ate half my lunch :D:D:D:D ) Took much more on Sunday - so much more that we went to sleep after lunch, and woke to find Norrie and others assembling photographic evidence of our slumbers.

Both Norma and I enjoyed those couple of days in very good company, had some good laughs, and some good fishing with a very good skipper.

Would definitely support another such trip.

Baked one of the bass in the campervan Sunday evening - went down a treat with some Sauvignon Blanc.

Did some birdwatching on the way home, saw some of the waders on their way south already - greenshank, whimbrel, etc. Had an excellent crab salad lunch in The Anchor at Sidlesham - do you know it Salar ?

[ 23. August 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond:

Had an excellent crab salad lunch in The Anchor at Sidlesham - do you know it Salar ?

No, but I know where to look for it now! It was great to meet you, Norma and the others - when's the next event?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Would just like to agree with Vagabond about an excellent day out on the sunday, even though the fishing was hard. Luckily the forcast bad weather never materialised.

Was a great day out all the same and thanks to Spasor, Norrie, Vagabond, Norma and Jabee for the excellent company and a big thankyou to Rob, an excellent skipper and a great laugh too.

Sorry I missed you Salar, Toggle, Alan and Sonja (will catch you next time).

We have to do it again!

It`s a pity that Norma didn`t manage a bass, but that lady was so close to catching the biggest fish of the weekend, on several occasions!

It was only by luck that I got my tope to the side of the boat. Good job John was on hand with the net and grabbed the leader. Otherwise it would have been another `that got away`.

Nice to meet up with old fishing pals. And finally get to meet Alan and Vags. So many times we`ve nearly met at Lochaline.

Have I told you about the day I went bassing out of Lymington? 2 fish for a total weight of 34lb! :D:D:D

I think a weekend with RobT next year is a certainty? Myself, Norrie and Jabee were discussing a 5 day trip to Alderney with the skipper. Couldn`t have been the ale talking, as we were still on the boat! Anyone else care to join? Circa next July.

Norrie, where`s my pics.

Paul. A happy man. I`ve caught another tope on an Anglersnet trip.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Chappers, Norrie, Jaybee.

Anyone care to be the organiser? I think 8 persons will be the maximum. 6 would be better, though a tad more expensive.

Post as soon as you can. Yes, Norrie the bassing is very hectic in the races around Alderney.

I`ll put a new post on this forum. I`ll just state that we already have 4 spaces taken already?

Paul.

Hiya, Give it a wee while as Jabee is in Ireland fishing for 10 days, but put his name down, I want to go as well, but dont know for definate as we are meant to be going to California next year. will take a few days to get organised, i.e, ask Shiona......but put our names down for now....ps the boat only takes 6....and Rob wants to go on the first week of july...he says that it is the best week and that to get digs it must be booked fairly soon....also, another Bass trip is in the wings.....hang 5 for a bit...

Paul, pics coming your way.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

As Norrie says Jabee is in Ireland and has gone some ways to organising things but I don't mind taking on the organising role for this one.

Looks like it could be full already.

Would agree with booking early as quite a few boats are now making the trip.

The tope fishing is excellent too Paul.

Norrie try uploading your pics to here and then you can post the link its quite good and unlimited and you can add captions too may take a while to upload depending on how many pictures and your connection speed.

Chappers?

I`ve posted the trip already. Got the original members in mind. Plus I`ve mailed the skipper!

Graham. I`m not slow on the organisational front.

Last year I lost £900 in deposits, because I`d over-booked myself!!! No-one lost out thou`. I`ve got most of that money held as a deposit by good skippers.

Paul.