Crucians - the latest obsession

Anderoo

Hmm, maybe not so self contained then. :(

Chris Turnball is happy :)

This year is the start of the national fight back for crucians so watch out all you crossbreeding pond dwelling mud pigs and goldfish. Your days are numbered!

Yay, look what my efforts have kicked off! Now show your support by joining the Angling Trust.

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News&itemid=2103

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Great fish. I used to fish for them in a pond near my parents caravan when I was a kid. About the only place that I know where they can be targeted deliberately is the pond in Birmingham's Perry Park - although I rather doubt that they will be a pure strain.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think it's the first thing they've done that I unequivocally approve of! :D

There are early plans to use one of our club waters for this project - really hope it comes off...

C.

• Like 3

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Lovely fish. I'm involved with the project in as much as I (with a lot of help) am trying to get together a list of waters containing crucians which I'm hoping will be published next week on Peter Rolfe's crucian website. A lot of work to do as many waters list 'crucians' but have hybrids, goldfish or the poor crucians are struggling. I fished a commercial in Dorset yesterday to see if we could catch any crucians; ended up with 3 but also 30 crucian x goldfish crosses which were horrible things. help with the list will be much appreciated. The good news is that there are some fisheries out there who are intending to create proper crucian waters.

There are early plans to use one of our club waters for this project - really hope it comes off...

C.

You and me both !!

Well done on those fish Anderoo, some crackers there....a 2lb+ crucian is a fine specimen, and a 3lb'er....beautiful, and a fish of a lifetime for many.

I was down at Marsh Farm yesterday, a short report and pics on my blog......didn't get any 3's but I did manage to catch two over 2lb, so well chuffed.

Paul

Nice fish Andrew, you're lucky to have somewhere to try for them.

One of my few regrets in angling was not fishing for them more, when the chance was there. I never had any approaching the size of yours, but knew of a couple of places that gave a decent chance of catching them. Sadly, I don't know of anywhere now, that would give me any reasonable chance of getting a crucian, plenty of mongrels, but no true ones.

I hope this campaign is a success, but fear that the gene pool is too contaminated to make much difference, except in a few isolated waters.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hmmm, they might be advertising it but they're very shy about answering pertinent questions!

https://www.facebook.com/AnglingTrust/posts/632058263530018

• Like 3

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hmmm, they might be advertising it but they're very shy about answering pertinent questions!

https://www.facebook.com/AnglingTrust/posts/632058263530018

In your dreams Nick!

That applies equally to getting an answer, and your proposal!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John