Crucians - the latest obsession

Anderoo

In your dreams Nick!

That applies equally to getting an answer, and your proposal!

John.

I know John, but, I tried :hypocrite:

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'm not aware that carp are allowed to be imported into the UK; I'm sure we breed enough of our own. Certainly plenty of goldfish coming in and unlikely that the Angling Trust has enough clout to ban their import. The threat to crucians is more from their crowding out in overstocked waters, predation of their fry, competition for food by other species at fry and adult stage, stocking of the ugly horrible hybrid 'F1', predation from pike, otters, cormorants, habitat destruction etc. Interbreeding in the wild with goldfish and carp not that common, although unwanted goldfish introduction is common when people drain garden ponds or aquariums.

Why not put your question to someone attending the conference?

Hmmm, they might be advertising it but they're very shy about answering pertinent questions!

https://www.facebook.com/AnglingTrust/posts/632058263530018

you must be privileged even to remain on their page Nick. I got removed for asking pertinent questions and removed off the kent and Essex sea anglers page for asking a question that wasn't pertinent. deleters are us. Enjoy the membership while you can, because as sure as eggs are eggs.............................

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

you must be privileged even to remain on their page Nick. I got removed for asking pertinent questions and removed off the kent and Essex sea anglers page for asking a question that wasn't pertinent. deleters are us. Enjoy the membership while you can, because as sure as eggs are eggs.............................

Fortunately I had quite a lot of support from a lot of people (including truss members) regarding the Keith the seal debacle....then again Barry, perhaps I'm just a hint more diplomatic than you? ;-)

Edited by Worms
  • Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Fortunately I had quite a lot of support from a lot of people (including truss members) regarding the Keith the seal debacle....then again Barry, perhaps I'm just a hint more diplomatic than you? ;-)

hummmmmmmmmm, I was very polite on the kent and Essex ifca sea angling face book page. no swearing, personal abuse. I knew that mr roskilly was developing the sea anglers strategy, the question I asked was, was it to be used in house or was it to be for all anglers. That's when the banning, blocking, deleting came in by the anonymous, faceless g!ts who are operating that page. :rtfm:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It would be interesting to see what baits and baiting methods/amounts people have found successful for crucians - especially when you're trying to avoid tench!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Or indeed any tips on picking out the crucians from the tench. I've read that fishing extremely close in can work, even in very shallow water - I haven't tried that yet.

Or maybe you just fish through the tench. They seem quite happy feeding together.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The latest session was very interesting. Still about 1 crucian for every 10 tench, but maybe that's just how it is. It seems like the crucians are in groups and are transient, moving around a lot. I haven't managed to hold a group yet, although I did get 2 within minutes after a quick recast. But maybe the groups aren't very big? Don't know yet. I would love to be able to hold a decent sized group and catch several...even more so if it's in float range!

DSCF0058_zpsc15e1887.jpg

• Like 1

There's a John Bailey article on crucians in this week's Angler's Mail. Apart from the work on crucian conservation he mentions that feeding very sparingly and accurately - only baiting a very small area around the float (a pole pot?) - may help in preventing the tench moving in. Lovely fish anyway. I fished a commercial earlier this week as part of the project to see if it still held crucians but the problem there was crucian x goldfish hybrids which grabbed the bait though I did get three crucians in the end.

Anderoo Have you tried float fishing VERY VERY close to standing yellow flags ?

I can think of two estate-type lakes where it is almost selective of crucians, although you sometimes get tench that way as well.

In fact it was tench feeding off snails at the base of the flags, thus causing them to quiver, that alerted me to fishing within a couple of inches of the flags in the margins. Used lift method for the tench, but found if you suspended a bait about half an inch from the bottom you picked up crucians,

As Mark said - VERY tight feeding is effective in concentrating crucians into a small area.

One requirement of fishing very close to crucians is the need to avoid spooking them. Another is to keep a very sharp eye on the float, as sometimes there is hardly a perceptible movement - in fact sometimes you think to yourself "this float is not moving at all - in fact its not even moving with the natural drift" Now this could be the hook has snagged on a projecting leaf or twig - but in a large number of cases it was because a crucian had taken the bait and was just sitting there (savouring the taste ? or is that too anthropomorphic a view ?) Whatever, a gentle strike at intervals connects with a bite you have not seen !

This approach probably works with any marginal plants sitting in a couple of feet of water or more and harbouring small aquatic snails, but yellow flags (ie yellow iris flowers) are common in my part of the world - so if you spot any, give them a careful look, especially if the stems move in a way not related to wind or ripple.

Fishing at very short range close to flags allows you to control a hooked fish by getting the rod tip over it, thus encouraging the fish to swim in circles by "steering" it round and round - fish too far away and it is easier for the fish to get in the flags when hooked.

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...