Crucians - the latest obsession

Anderoo

I know of at least two waters where these dudes are a nuisance, regardless of how you fish, or what you fish for.

If its the size of a dinner plate, slip it back. If its the size of a dinner tray, weight it.

personally, I have found that they like large chunks of meat, multiple corn, 10mm boilies and pellets.

. A quick way to tell a true crucian is to look under its chin at the lower jaw. The lower jaw has a steep upward slope and a stubborn expression, like a child that refuses to open its mouth.

Like this

post-812-0-40055200-1400967962_thumb.jpg

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks for the replies, happily the advice given ties in nicely with my next approach anyway, so I'll let you know how it goes. Feeding less and fishing closer in (I'll look for yellow flags!), and using a float, is definitely on the cards for the next session. This is because as well as the crucians I've now caught and lost a handful of very respectable rudd on fake maggots. The one that came off looked well over a pound, probably cloder to a pound and a half - it dived for the wooden platform supports and sheared the light braid hooklength. The couple I've landed were about a pound each, amazing looking fish with bright golden scales and blood red fins. My PB rudd is only 1.04 (at least that's the biggest one I've ever weighed), so I am hoping by float fishing with real maggots and careful feeding I might be able to catch more of the rudd (and hopefully get a big one), plus have more chance with the crucians and avoid bringing in lots of tench. Looking forward to trying it :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A tiny piece of bread flake on a size 16 or 18 is a cracking Crucian bait in the margins, roll little bread maggots and flick them round the float little and often.

I've come over all nostalgic, I spent many school holidays happily catching Crucians on the float at a little pool close to where I lived.

Maggots flavoured with Turmeric where another good bait.

Bread punch on a 16, matching the punch to the hook, is a good crucian bait, and easier to use than flake at this size. I was catching them on little (1/4" cube) cubes of luncheon meat last week.

Yes, I saw that too. Im going again tomorrow so I think I will stick with the little method feeder on one rod but not feed anything additional to that, and fish the float on the other with regular light baiting. It's still not exactly warm, and it does seem like heavier baiting might be what's bringing in all the tench. (Having said that, medium-sized tench on light tackle are quite a lot of fun :) ) Hopefully the rudd will show up too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...

If fishing very close to margins (yellow flags where I fish as well) and to avoid small silvers feed a small pot of micro pellets - and I mean micro pellets - nothing over 1mm

Fish a very light F1/pencil type pole float or a tiny still water blue and use punched bread or DEAD maggots as hook bait.

The bait needs to be just touching bottom but on some days they want it (or you see the bites better) with bait just off the bottom.

Never found a way of putting off the Tench BUT you could always feed a Tench line with worm/meat/hemp etc down the other margin to keep any coming from that direction occupied - and to catch a few later on after the Crucians have had your hair out :)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!