So whay do you think? C+C

Guest Silver Back

Sorry I left a post but the computer crashed? it was 1.00 in the morning and I had to be up by 6am to be ready to go to the boat show, again sorry.

I'll have another go. Inspired by the 'Owl' picture, I though I would submit a picture, taken that I am not sure how best to deal with. Dramatic, and moody, taken in very thundery conditions off Lea on Sea, South End, Essex. It is one of my pictures that accompanied an artical, It was used as a half page header to same. I have done nothing with it other than 'unsharp' and croped the way I think it could be?

This is the original with just 'unsharp'

Merworiginal.jpg

This is my crop?

Mecroprw.jpg

Where do we go, or do we go, B&W, colour shift, different crop, different model!! . . . ??

Hope this works this time? :huh::blink: Bingo!!! changed host.

Sorry, details;

Nikon D100

Sigma lense, 17-35

Shutter, 1/200

F 7.1

ISO 200

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

A good photo CJ but I'd have left a bit more on the Right side, putting the subject in the center. If you'd have cropped to much you'd have lost the weather conditions of the day. B)

Perhaps John E, the 'un croped' version is best?, its the one they used in the magazine. The whole idea of the pic is to leave it wide open for critisisum and sugestion?

Cliff :ph34r:

Perhaps John E, the 'un croped' version is best?, its the one they used in the magazine.

Merworiginal1.jpg

Well Cliff :huh: (CJ) there seems to be just a bit too much going on in the original & it will distract from the fish that geezer is holding?

Regards

Cliff :huh: (Rabster)

(excuse the shoddy photoshopping, but it is early Sunday morning)

PS - I do actually prefer the original, uncropped piccy, as John says, it reflects the weather conditions of the day better and gives a good sense of proportion/perspective.

I remeber that day well, we had been out to Maplin sands, weather turned snotty!! :blink: The trip back to the shelter of the estuary was more like being in a 'submerine' :unsure: Just dont remember taking the detoure vi Lock Ness!! :rolleyes:

the uncropped picture conveys much more of the sense of the terrible weather than the cropped one, i think you cropped the wrong side, the left side, which just shows the edge of the boat adds nothing to the picture, whereas the right side with the choppy sea adds a sense of drama and tension.

though imho the photo is far far better uncropped :)

Guest Finepix

The focus is spot on, which must have been difficult with the choppy conditions.

The water and sky has been perfectly captured, you can really sense the weather conditions.

As for help, just a bit of pp work really, nothing drastic. It's a great image showing drama (as in the desperate weather), movement, focus and a story (a caught fish), what more do you want from an image!

Because you (kind of) gave us permission I've done a touch of pp work. Hope you don't mind :)

fish4fb.jpg

The focus is spot on, which must have been difficult with the choppy conditions.

The water and sky has been perfectly captured, you can really sense the weather conditions.

As for help, just a bit of pp work really, nothing drastic. It's a great image showing drama (as in the desperate weather), movement, focus and a story (a caught fish), what more do you want from an image!

Because you (kind of) gave us permission I've done a touch of pp work. Hope you don't mind :)

fish4fb.jpg

'Finepix' . . . 'you gave us permission'?, that was the whole idea, get things moving, ideas on how to? I love the way you are all having your say, friendly as well! I have posted a few different ideas over the few weeks I've been on the site, all there to picked up and run with. Any thing I say or do is open for debate, constructive, critisium. I dont have to agree, its good to see how other approach a problem however. I have learned from this post, I have had a laugh :P and I hope others have as well.

Focus, that Nikon D100 is not bad, my eyes are not so good, so I do rely on AF a lot. Sensing the weather conditions, you should have been there :o . Thanks to you all for responding to this post, I feel very encouraged to grab the camera :rolleyes: hay, its dark out side ;)

In fact I'm out all day tomorrow on site South-End-on Sea, the guy who's boat this photo was taken on, is taking delivery of a brand spanking new one, I'm official launch photographer, he's a good mate.

Again I'm enjoying the coments, hope every one els is.

:ph34r: Cliff