scratching associated with fungus ?

Andy_1984

im sure it could be but last time they had fungus I didnt notice much itching. tench is really scuffed up the now from it and fins are a bit tatty, poor wee bugger.

im using protozin just now.

doubting white spot as its very hard to see, looking side on you wouldnt know there was a problem looking at him front on you can see it down his side.

post-7003-0-21596300-1400675225_thumb.jpg

wouldnt worry about this he's just resting after a long night of being super active.

post-7003-0-40122800-1400675258_thumb.jpg

mouth has always been like that

post-7003-0-46666700-1400675276_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-35308300-1400675402_thumb.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

No scratching today. Good sign i suppose.

I blame the new external i bought. Just didnt seem to be picking up any debris apart from tiny miniscule dust.

Eheim ecco pro 300. Old filter back in and usuing media from eheim and waters looking better in under 24 hours. Shoulda went with fluval 406.

I would recommend 48 hours in a salt solution, use cooking salt, with an active filtration system, no filter media, to keep the water moving.

1 teaspoon of cooking salt per litre of water. Treat your tank the same with cooking salt @ 1/2 Teaspoon of cooking salt per litre.

Do not make any water changes for 2 weeks then part change at 1/3rd to 2/3rds.

• 2 weeks later...

Following right uns advice i placed the tench in a storage box with the external filter running with no media and in went 30 tea spoons of tonic salt. He was there for just under a week while i still dosed the main tank with protozin.

Main tank got a big water change to remove protozin and started the salt treatment on main tank and tench was put in tank and carp was put in the storage box so tench can get some time to recover.

Carp isnt happy about it but thats what he gets for attacking the tench.

Tench has a renewed vigour and doing really well but still looks a mess with torn fins and missig scales.

Doing small part water changes on storage box to keep carp alive. Ill put him in the tank once tench is even better if he starts biting he will be goig to a new home somones garden pond or bigger tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Protozin should have dealt with whitespot, it's pretty effective. Is there any bogwood or similar in the aquarium? (organic matter like that is very good at adsorbing medications from the water). Shouldn't really have problems with protozoans in an established aquarium where no new fish have been introduced (although some can hang around at background levels until fish get stressed). Salt and elevated/stable temperature is always a good go-to though with cyprinids.