Bass. Why I think they are special.

Steve Coppolo

WARNING! Could be boring!

Although I'm a bit deaf these days, I'm not so deaf that I can't hear that some people are sick and tired of reading about how great bass are. Each one to their own I say, but I'd like to give those people at least an idea of why some people seem to be obsessed with them.

The sheer numbers of small bass in our waters now means it's likely that almost everyone reading this will have caught them, whether they have been targetting them or not. To some they are bait robbing pests. There is certainly no mystery in catching bass nowdays, if you class these little baby things as bass. There are many books and videos on bass fishing available. Lots of information and advice is available on the internet and there is even a bass anglers society. Catching a bass has never been easier.

I caught my first bass when I was 11 years old. It was a school bass of about a pound and I caught it whilst fishing for Eels in the river Crouch. It wasn't only the first bass that I'd caught, it was the first one I'd seen apart from pictures in the magazine. I was immediately struck by it's beauty. The streamlined shape, the silver scales, the bony head and the sharp spines. I decided there and then that I wanted to catch more of these wonderful fish, but I didn't have a clue as to how I would achieve it. I got books out of the library by people like Clive Gammon. I read about the surf beach bass in Ireland and the west country, but that was of no use to a young boy living in London. What I did learn from the books was that bass are creatures of habit and one had to learn their habits in order to be a successful bass fisherman. There was nothing for it but to get out as often as possible and fish for them. I was lucky in that my dad was a very keen angler, although he didn't share my enthusiasm for bass, and we went fishing at every opportunity.

For years I was very unsuccessful. Getting my Dad to drive me to various venues around the south east in search of the allusive bass. I was like a dog chasing it's tail. A report of a bass being caught at such and such a beach would see us making our way there the following weekend. A complete waste of time of course, but I didn't have a clue about the habits of bass. I should have stuck to one place and spent every available hour fishing it in order to learn. More years went by without any real success, just the odd fish to keep my enthusiasm up. When I caught them I didn't realise why I had, I was just grateful. Then I came across a book by John Darling. It was obvious that this man had spent a lot of time learning about bass and the pictures in the book suggested that he'd become very successful at catching them. The style of John Darlings' writing kicked my imagination into overdrive. Bass were now mythical creatures who only gave up their secrets to the chosen few. I was determined that I would be one of those chosen few. From JD's book I also learned a bit about the habits of bass and the importance of being in the right place at the right time. I started to visit the same venues time after time in order to learn when the bass would turn up. My bassing started to get more productive, but every time I thought I had it sussed something would happen to bring me back down to earth.

As I spent more time fishing my bass marks I started to meet other anglers who were also targetting bass. I gradually got to know them better and they started to feed me little snippets of information and stories of their best catches. I realised that there was a small network of dedicated bass anglers who were solitary souls going about their business quietly and efficiently. I wanted to be in their gang!

I gradually learned the habits of bass at certain marks and started to catch some good bass on a fairly regular basis. The years of walking, watching, trying and failing had paid off and I now considered myself to be a bass angler.

Sadly the calibre of bass that we used to catch aren't there in the numbers that they used to be. Dedicated bass anglers still go about their business in the same way as they've always done in search of the bigger fish, but success has become a rarity. It heartens me to see the huge numbers of small bass in the water now, but at the same time I'm saddened by the lack of quality fish. I'm also saddened to think that some of the people who are catching these small fish think that's all there is to catching bass. Maybe with more big bass in the sea more people would spend the time and effort actually targetting better fish. It's not until you do that you will appreciate how magical these fish can be.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excelent post Steve.

Most bass anglers start the same way as you.

I have been very lucky as me dad had me bassing as soon as I could hold the rod,lol.

Ive been a spoilt brate, a spoilt brat thats still learning mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Yes Steve they are a special fish. I live in Whitley Bay Northunberland and the odd one does turn up here.I also have a static caravan in Drummore,Mull of Galloway. The bass are more frequent over there. I am saying "over there" because it is actually south of Newcastle :o Go on check the atlas :lol:

First targeted them 2 years ago. Manxman was my first "bass coach". He told me the Yozuri Aile Magnet was the popper to use.Went to Erics Sports Shop in Stranraer and bought one(10£) :o Asked Eric to take off the price tag,went outside and the love of my life said what have you bought? I said a spinner for £3 she said HOW MUCH ;)

Anyway had a sesh in Luce Bay with Manxman and he popped out a 3lber. Caught one a few weeks later at the same spot -thanks John :)

Am now under the guidance of the top Drummore bass expert - Freddie,known to some as Vlad due to his association with vast amounts of vodka :unsure:

This guy knows Luce Bay like the back of his hand. I now know a lot of marks and what state of the tide to fish them.My quest this year is to catch a bass on fly gear.Due to the nature of the beast there are very few marks which are fly friendly. I must do it for MJB my bass fly sensai :)

Lost a "biggie" during Lads Week last year.the fish smoked line - sorry I digress a bit probably due to the fact I have been on the drink since noon(late shift tomorrow so do not care )

Intend to go catch and release on the bass this year :) Problem is the sister in law loves eating fish so the odd one may get "bonked" If I manage to get a biggie the plan is a quick kiss and back into Luce Bay to make more bass for me to kiss.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

QUOTE:Intend to go catch and release on the bass this year Problem is the sister in law loves eating fish so the odd one may get "bonked" If I manage to get a biggie the plan is a quick kiss and back into Luce Bay to make more bass for me to kiss.

Snater bonking bass, is there a little fetish you should be keeping a bit quieter mate?lol

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

QUOTE:Intend to go catch and release on the bass this year Problem is the sister in law loves eating fish so the odd one may get "bonked" If I manage to get a biggie the plan is a quick kiss and back into Luce Bay to make more bass for me to kiss.

Snater bonking bass, is there a little fetish you should be keeping a bit quieter mate?lol

Oh dear I have been sussed :lol::lol::lol:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Great post Steve, being twenty seven and only really been sea fishing for the last ten years, I have to say I only caught my first bass about five years ago and then it was a thing of wonder! I went to grab it and little did I know that they had such viscious spines and promptly had about ten holes in my hand! :blink: however, just recently my success with bass has been much better with my best going 7lb 10 oz and I can't wait to get my first double. The one thing with bass fishing that I love more than anything is the fact that you can catch them at your feet and quite often I have been showing someone how to cast and it has all gone horribbly wrong, but five minutes later whilst still trying to sort out their birdsnest you get a cracking bite and have to try to land a fish with no reel! I say bring on the bass fishing, and personally I am going to spend a lot of time this year trying to get a biggie from my local Colne estuary! I have already had a few 40 cm fish from quite far upriver, and as long as the netters arn't too busy then I can't wait to get a proper size bass from my area :D

Live to fish!!

mahoo, it seems that you have a very healthy out look on your bassing, and already after only 5 years at the sport caught a 7lb 10 oz fish. Nice fish mate.

Lure fishing on neeps in calm conditions at dawn and dusk I hear can be very productive on the Coln.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I have to say, when i was a wee lad and caught my first bass, i was awed! Its silver shine and the way it kept flaring its gills towards me, trying its best to stab me with its sharp bits made me giggle...

At the time, i felt as though i was holiding something famous, and had to let it swim free, back into the shallow white water.

Mind you, i get a diffrent feeling with most diffrent species - they all have there special qualities that keep me going back for more.

Tight Lines

Shaun

Nice bit of background there Steve.

My love of Bassing is greatly influenced by the atmosphere of the places the pursuit takes me to. I am a self confessed night fishing addict as those who know me can testify and nothing jangles the nerves more than turning up to a favoured mark to hear the crash of large fish hunting in the darkness over the dull hum of the livebait pump.

I have fished on a few occasions with my jaw literally trembling as these unseen brutes await the incoming tide to do there worst on anything crossing their path in water barely deep enough to cover their backs.

The sensations of a livebait only to aware of it's iminent fate transmitting up the braid often tell me the games are about to begin. The takes can be savage and the fights exhilirating, the prize only too deserving of Sportfish status.

Despite popular opinion I love targetting many other species, I've had some superb Bream, amazing fight nights with conger and patient times waiting for sole to cross my path. However the atmosphere I have hopefully portrayed a little of when Bassing, sure takes some beating when it comes to laying down lifelong memories. :)