Another nice centrepin on ebay

Tigger

There seems to have been a few higher end centrepins on ebay over the last few weeks and this one looks very nice....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avon-Classic-Centrepin-Reel-/121348680474?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item1c40f1eb1a

I think they sold for £!95 when they where being produced by RC but like most quality things they've increased in value dramatically since !

Pity about the star back, spoils it for me. I wonder what this one will make ? I think the last on went for over 700 ripp's !

Pity about the star back, spoils it for me..............

Me too, there's no need for it.

From what I've seen of RC's centrepins his workmanship is right up there with the other bespoke reel makers but IMO it's the design that lets them down. They all have a very 'clunky' overweight look and this reel is no exception. I've never used one so can't comment on that, they might be brilliant but purely from an aesthetic point of view I'm not tempted.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Me too, there's no need for it.

From what I've seen of RC's centrepins his workmanship is right up there with the other bespoke reel makers but IMO it's the design that lets them down. They all have a very 'clunky' overweight look and this reel is no exception. I've never used one so can't comment on that, they might be brilliant but purely from an aesthetic point of view I'm not tempted.

I think if you get to see some in the flesh you might change your mind about their look Chris. I know CL rates them very highly. I have one of RC's reels, the 4 inch aerial gem and it's great to use and I think it looks grea also.

Still don't like star back reels though lol.

I have both the six spoke and the 12 spoke both are good reels. Both of mine were deliberately ordered without the star back as that feature adds nothing but extra weight.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I have both the six spoke and the 12 spoke both are good reels. Both of mine were deliberately ordered without the star back as that feature adds nothing but extra weight.

I imagine the star back was made to strengthen the foot on old wooden reels. I don't know if that's correct but that would seem logical captain :).

Like you say Alan, it just adds weight and bulk on a metal reel. Maybe some people like the looks of it so RC was just supplying various tastes.

the starbacks and other spined backs was needed on wooden backed centrepins to strengthen the backs and help prevent warping ,they're just cosmetic on alloy reels .

this model is not really to my tastes either .

if you think these are nice ,there is a new aerial on the near horizon ,kingpin reels is in the process of developing a pair of true pin aerial models along the more conventional lines

10403341_10201130123054874_3730220016058

10301357_10201133554900668_8148777172309

10380312_10201130123214878_6237964767581

these are just preliminary cad views ,not final design ,but they should be ok .one will be in the theme of a aerial popular without perforations and the other in the theme of a double ventilated aerial ,being kingpin reels they'll be cnc machined / milled so mass produced .I doubt they'll be cheap though .should be good solid reels in narrow and wide drum options .they have said that the ventilated model will be shallower than these early representations and will be bushings reels (not bearings)

maybe available later in the year .so worth keeping a eye out for

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

You get some cool/blingy fly reels in the trout world... this Loop reel jumped out at me from google images!

img_1274.jpg

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music