A Mexican Standoff

severus

LOL - what a mess.

I wonder what the maritime regs are for proper lighting on a floating tuna pen?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I didn't even know floating tuna pens even existed.

I have a buddy who used to ride cycles competitively. He participated in a Baja 1000-mile bike race as part of a team for a few years and said that they kept a supply of t-shirts an hats onboard the trailing bus to give to Mexican soldiers at checkpoints way out in the boondocks, with no one around. Apparently it was a form of insurance to have a gift for bored 18 year-olds holding M-16's.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I didn't even know floating tuna pens even existed.

I have a buddy who used to ride cycles competitively. He participated in a Baja 1000-mile bike race as part of a team for a few years and said that they kept a supply of t-shirts an hats onboard the trailing bus to give to Mexican soldiers at checkpoints way out in the boondocks, with no one around. Apparently it was a form of insurance to have a gift for bored 18 year-olds holding M-16's.

Tuna pens in South Australia are big money makers.more millonaires in Port Lincon than any where else in the state.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

We watched a Discovery channel special on Tuna Cowboys. They were mostly having to deal with lots and lots and lots of sharks that would bite holes in the net and wander in for easy meals.

Exciting life for a diver.

I still think if I had some of those floating pens in the water, I'd have as many lights as practical and some serious radar reflectors as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I still think if I had some of those floating pens in the water, I'd have as many lights as practical and some serious radar reflectors as well.
I have been surfin' all round the net all day, trying to find if there are any IMO regs about this, but drew a blank. The towing vessel should have been light up like a Xmas tree. They were lucky it was not a big container boat, it would have ripped thier pen to bits, and its crew would have been oblivious to the fact. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have been surfin' all round the net all day, trying to find if there are any IMO regs about this, but drew a blank. The towing vessel should have been light up like a Xmas tree. They were lucky it was not a big container boat, it would have ripped there pen to bits, and its crew would have been oblivious to the fact.

Any good, mate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International...llisions_at_Sea

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Good summary but it only deals with vessels (both towing and being towed) with no mention of lighting needed/required on nets.

If the tuna pen is classed as a vessel, the rules are clear but otherwise, I'm beginning to think there aren't any although common sense to me would call for having the pen clearly lighted and easy to spot in the dark or in the fog.