catching barracuda from the shore

skeetshoot

Where will you be in Menorca.

I used to live there.

If you like the fly their are some great mullet which I would love to have tried for on the fly when out there.

re cuda's, I had one off the bridge in cayo guillermo (cuba) under a float with a deadbait. The guys were also fishing for them off the rocks using similar principles. Unfortunatly I smashed my rod trying to land it and ended up hauling it on by hand, never fished as heavy as the guys are suggesting. I was next to a guy using the fly, with a nine weight rod, and a bundle of skill. He didn;t get and cudas but had snapper and jacks which were great fun.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where will you be in Menorca.

I used to live there.

If you like the fly their are some great mullet which I would love to have tried for on the fly when out there.

re cuda's, I had one off the bridge in cayo guillermo (cuba) under a float with a deadbait. The guys were also fishing for them off the rocks using similar principles. Unfortunatly I smashed my rod trying to land it and ended up hauling it on by hand, never fished as heavy as the guys are suggesting. I was next to a guy using the fly, with a nine weight rod, and a bundle of skill. He didn;t get and cudas but had snapper and jacks which were great fun.

phil - you sound like you could give me a lot of further help here - the resopnses so far have been excellent.

I am staying in Cala,n Bosch andI have heard that the rocky area along towards the lighthouse provides the deeper water that I am looking for.

I am really interested in other "larger" species that I could target.

Thanks everyone for guidance - keep it coming!

some of the guys who do trips out of the harbour fish from the backs of their boats as they head down the coast.

there are tuna, cuda and even occasional sail fish (not that I ever saw any).

never had a cuda off the rocks, but don't see why not if you can real in fast enough.

To be honest, I snorkeled every day for a whole summer and never saw a cuda close in, though I did hear of them.

This suggests that the numbers in close are low so you may be better targetting other fish from the shore and trying to get on a bpoat out of the harbour for the better fish.

don't waste your time fishing with bread in the harbour, thousands of tiny fish will take the bait off the hook without grabbing the actual hook.

plenty of rocks around Bosch, but also give cala blanca a try, the rocks off there can be great.

thought I better mention, there is a nature reserve (and a naturist reserve) not far from calan bosch, don't fish at the nature reserve, it wont go down well.

if you go to cala blanca, head up to sant Andrea, it's the northern "bay" of cala blanca, about a mile north of the main beach, you can find pools off the rocks with lots of fish, these rocks are old corals I think, they can be very very sharp, I've had many nasty falls on them, so please be careful. I caught a lot of bream which tasted great barbaqued next to where we had caught them, washed dow with a few beers.

imitation bread flies may be a good idea on the fly rod, the tourists fish bread all the time but the flies may have the advantage of not being knocked off the hook by the far too bright mullett.

Do spend some time in the harbour at Ciutedella, it's the old capital and the mullett in the harbour are hugeand appear almost tame, until you try to catch one. They run into double figures so will give you some fun and hours of frustration.

I like Calan Bosch, I used to take my girlfriend there. Nothing like a cold bottle of wine and a good seafood meal.

Do also go to Cala galdana, but take the midge repelent. Great mullet in the river there, also to double figures.

Finally, if thompsons still do the ghost walk of Ciutedella, go on it, even if you're with another company the rep will let you book. Late at night around the old streets can be quite spooky, my wife wouldn;t sleep the night we went on it.

Re bait and tackle.

the tourist "supermarket" shops sell some bits of gear most of it is useless, for any proper tackle there's a sports shop in cuitedella which also does fishing tackle. Don't waste your time fishing worms (which they sell in that shop) you only tend to catch small stuff with them, I'd be packing a 5 piece take apart salmon rod for rock/light boat fishing (I've got the Shimano Exage) and a five piece fly rod, mines a 7-8 weight. You'll have loads of fun, and if you don't you can always blame me.

Squid should be a reliable bait, and if you can get hold of a seine (spelling) net you should be ab;le to catch fresh fish baits in the Bosch harbour by throwing it after you throw in some bread. That will give you plenty of bait.

tight lines.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I have watched people fishing off the rocks in the south of france and they were catching bream on float gear, never saw anything big caught.

As for Barracuda I saw plenty of these when fishing and snorkelling in canaries recently. Barracuda as well as Bass etc. can be caught on diving plugs etc. from the rocks see http://www.bassbonkers.com/index.php?main_page=page_3 for example of some caught in Portugal.

The locals in Tenerife were mainly after bream for their BBQs and used brown bread but I found float fished defrosted prawns to be the most effective bait for all species.

nick

nick, that's really helpful for me too as I'm going to be in fuertaventura.

agree re the prawns, stays on the hook well, they do sell little jars of prawns in the supermarkets in menorca for fishing, but the frozen ones can work just as well and are significantly cheaper

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

hi

Thanks for keeping the info going

Does anyone know where I can buy some of these stripper lures as pictured earlier in the trail

I am keen to take a couple woth me

Fraz

Msot of the us tackle online shops will sell them to you - try eangler.com however be careful that you do not purchase the trolling version (12-15 inches long) if you are trying to spin for them - there are smaller ones and it occurs to me that you could probably use a German sprat or Norwegian to similar effect?

Any thoughts people?

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

I think Skeet would be better off with some Storm Saltwater Chug bugs and some Yozuri Hydro Poppers or such like all are easily available on the net and likely to attract a broader range of predators in the Med.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.