Farmoor Resevoir

Anderoo

Hi all

I've just moved house, and I'm now within a long-haul's distance from Farmoor in Oxfordshire. I've had a (cold and windy) walk along one of the concrete banks and talked to a guy who told me that it's a very good floating lines and buzzer fishery, and that there's no need for a boat as the water's very deep close in. Does anyone (or has anyone) fish here and, if so, are there any tips you can pass on? In the spring and coarse fishing close season I can do some evening sessions after work, which will be great.

Also, I can fish the lower Evenlode (near where it enters the Thames) in the close season for brownies. Any idea if this is worth the effort? It looks very snaggy and tricky to flyfish.

Thanks in advance.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...

Anderoo,

There are two basic methods for fishing Farmoor from the bank.

If the fish are showing then set up a floating line with three buzzers, possibly a weighted fly on the point such as a gold head nymph, add a sight indicator to the end of your fly line, most tackle shops sell them, they are like tiny pike bungs made of brightly coloured polystyrene. Cast your flies out out and let them drift, the moment your sight indicator disappears - strike. Take something to sit on.

If no fish are showing the set up a sinking line with a very short leader (12') and a booby, cast, let it sink, strip it back.

All this is bit like course fishing but it works.

One more thing, if you are not catching, get in your car and move, talk to people, if they are catching, stop.

Have not fished Farmoor,but fished at Barn Ems and Walthamstow-although many years ago(Barn Elms now closed).A good tactic on those(both Concreate bowls) early season was black lures,sweeny todd's or undertakers fished slow on sinking line.Most takes came from pretty close in as i remember.Buzzers were also a good bet.Now probably useless info,but there again there is no reason why these tactics should not work at Farmoor.

I am sure someone else on here will add more usefull info for you-infact they already have via precious reply.

Good luck

Have not fished Farmoor,but fished at Barn Ems and Walthamstow-although many years ago(Barn Elms now closed).A good tactic on those(both Concreate bowls) early season was black lures,sweeny todd's or undertakers fished slow on sinking line.Most takes came from pretty close in as i remember.Buzzers were also a good bet.Now probably useless info,but there again there is no reason why these tactics should not work at Farmoor.

I am sure someone else on here will add more usefull info for you-infact they already have via precious reply.

Good luck

Just to update my reply.Have heard that a black ghost lure on sinking line is always worth a chuck :thumbs: ,which seems to bear out my theory :clap2:

Thanks guys! I've never used a bung before - maybe I'll try a team of buzzers without one first and feel for takes, and stick one on if it's looking like a blank...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music