Cherished but odd!

Julian

Hi All,

We all have images of family and friends that we hold close to our hearts. However I recently dug out a few images that are a little bit different - rather than being ‘of’ somebody close, they are ‘by’ somebody close.

My dad died when I was ten and as my parents were divorced it was all a bit messy at the time. As such, I never really got anything to remember him by, other than his old cane fishing rod (which I still use from time to time) and one pack of assorted photos that he took, dating back to around 1962 - ten years before I was born!

Aside from his love of fishing he was mad keen on locomotives and worked on the railways around Manchester for most of his youth. I don’t know what ever happened to all his images but I did manage to salvage one pack, most of which were taken around the Manchester area, Piccadilly Station being the obvious one.

Been looking through loads of my old photo’s recently whilst working on a few new projects with Elton and came across these again – just thought I’d share a few. Taken from 4.5x3” prints so the scans don’t really do them justice but some interesting subject matter nonetheless.

Anybody else got anything along similar lines (no pun intended) – cherished but a bit odd?

Cheers…

Julian

train1.jpg

train2.jpg

train3.jpg

train4.jpg

train5.jpg

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant photos. Really atmospheric and so perfect in black and white.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have not got anything like these, only a few shots from my childhood. Welcome in to this little area Julian, nice to see you here..:)

Elton: Just looked and there is no Steam train smilie... :yahoo:

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Welcome in to this little area Julian, nice to see you here..:)

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. :thumbs:

However, you won’t be saying the same thing this time next month when I’ve posted my 998th rally car picture… :crazy:

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

However, you won’t be saying the same thing this time next month when I’ve posted my 998th rally car picture… :crazy:

Maybe not, but I will be complaining if you have not posted your 998th etc etc...

:yahoo:

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

WOW, great photos Julian, the one of the station looks like it came straight out of some movie. I got ALL the old black and white photos when my Dad died, I even have Mums too, including her wedding album, and she is still alive, no one else wanted them, but I love them. Will try and find some interesting ones to scan and post.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

This one's a bit odd, no idea where it is, (Canada?) it was in a box of old family photos which an Aunt passed to me a while back.

I got loads more, all just as boring. :yawn::D

oldpics10hf.jpg

Guest Finepix
This one's a bit odd, no idea where it is, (Canada?) it was in a box of old family photos which an Aunt passed to me a while back.

I got loads more, all just as boring. :yawn::D

All just as boring? Are you serious? This is a great image, if you don't want them ............... :whistling:

Just found this ...

"The Wonderful Canadian Arch in Whitehall", as the London Sphere described it, was erected on the ceremonial route from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey, for the coronation of King Edward VII in July 1902.

Clifford Sifton's staff seized the opportunity to combine Imperial sentiments with a magnificent advertising opportunity. Photographs

of the arch appeared in newspapers throughout Britain. Brilliantly lit with electric lights, messages on both sides of the arch were visible night and day. "Canada. Britain's Granary. God Bless Our King and Queen" appeared on the side facing Buckingham Palace. The message on the other side read "Canada. Free Homes for Millions. God Bless the Royal Family." The London Sphere enthused:

It is 56 feet high and 60 feet wide. The archway is 25 feet wide, the whole structure being capped by an open lantern with a roof of crown formation. It is "thatched" with wheat sheaves from Manitoba, and Canada's national emblem, the maple leaf, is effectively interspersed with the yellow grain.

I also just found this http://images.google.com/images?q=Canadian...G=Search+Images

Which links to a postcard that was sold on ebay of the same arch, postcards seems to sell on there for upto £10.

Focal Planet