Has anybody built their own carp rod?

Julian

I’m in the market for a new rod. I have various rods for various purposes, but my firm favourites are the rods I had hand-built about nine or ten years ago – the feel and handling is (for me) far superior than anything you could get off a shelf as they are built to my own arm length and specification, etc.

I’m after a stalking rod; something around 9-10 foot with a nice all through action and quite light. I fancy having a crack at building one myself as it’s something I’ve never done before and it would be a good challenge.

How difficult would it be - am I kidding myself?

Would be interested to hear from any who have built their own rods from scratch so I know what I’d be taking on and any recommendations for blank/assembly suppliers would be greatly received.

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

That sounds like fun Julian - assuming 'from scratch' means you will buy a blank from someone and put the fittings on it.

Take a look at http://www.mudhole.com . They do have blanks although I'm sure you can do better locally but they also have a wonderful collections of tips & ideas that would be worth reading before you started buying the parts.

Any chance you could take lots of pictures during the process and share them?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

not for 35 years but then every one did that didnt have the funds to buy a ready made ,my most famouse blank was from dawsons bromley (long gone i expect) where i blagged a second from them by continual pestering (i lived round the corner ish) i most certainly destroyed a good rod to make an extremly bad one ,i was ten :2:

i blagged about everything else as well ,those tears worked wonders :D

i just cut off both ends of the rod to make a shorter version :rolleyes:

later came j b walkers and rod "kits" and a better finish

the second attemp was a tank arial rod ,the butt was so thin you couldnt buy corks with small enough holes ,my old mans toolkit consisted of a rusty saw and screwdriver so my holemaking was done by penknife ,not the best rod in the world :(

i think with modern materials it should be easy ,the finish is the most important bit to take your time over ,in my time it was more experimental and b & W plated books from the library to find out where you went wrong :rolleyes: always after you went wrong mind :headhurt:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

shouldnt be a problem! get a blank and your fittings and get to it!

whiping is the only thing that takes a bit of skill and lots of patience in my limited experience!

good fun shaping the cork handle,(if thats your choice)

peice of cake with a book from the library! nice to customis with your nick name etc

and colour whiping of your choice, go for it

Edited by geffaz

Julian, Harrisons have some of the best blanks around (IMO) including stalking rod blanks. If you want to give it a try I`ve got most of the components in stock that you would need, ex the blank which I can get in a few days and have sent direct to you. I`m also happy to keep you right on the build progress by PM.

Stan www.alba-rods.co.uk

Thanks for the input,

Sounds like the key will be to do lots of reading in advance – can anybody recommend any books or sites (other than those above) which could help?

Thanks for the link, Newt – some good stuff on there.

Thanks for the offer of help Stan, may well be taking you up on it. Had a good look around the Harrison site but could not see any stalking blanks?

Definitely going to give it a go and will write it up as an article for the site.

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Thanks for the input,

Sounds like the key will be to do lots of reading in advance – can anybody recommend any books or sites (other than those above) which could help?

Thanks for the link, Newt – some good stuff on there.

Thanks for the offer of help Stan, may well be taking you up on it. Had a good look around the Harrison site but could not see any stalking blanks?

Definitely going to give it a go and will write it up as an article for the site.

Cheers…

Julian

Julian, not on their site but in the trade catalogue. Ballista Stalker, 9ft..2.75lb and 9ft....3.00lb

also a BAllista Stalker extreme, 12ft 6inch....3.5lb

I agree, I would have thought 1.75lb would be OK, but maybe theres another reason?

Julian, have to agree also they do seem to be a bit heavy. Had a look in the export trade list they`ve also got a 3piece, stalker, 10ft, 2lb TC

Stan.