Bird ID Help Please

Guest Jan V

it is a grey lag goose and they are indigenous to North America from Hudson Bay to South Carolina and breed in the Northern most parts of America....Rob

Where did you get that information from ?

1. The reference work "Birds of the Western Palearctic" shows greylag as absent from N America

2. Greylag does not appear in the "Field Guide to N American Birds"

3. Greylag is not on the ABA checklist

4. ...and I've never seen one there either :lol:

are you quite sure you are not confusing greylag with greater whitefront ?

There are plenty of greater whitefront in NA

Jans excellent picture is of a farmyard goose - albeit with grey goose ancestry.

Later - just been onto an American birding forum, and had the absence of greylag in NA confirmed - not even a vagrant one.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Jan

As a goose keeper I would say, that is a Toulouse Gander (domesticated breed). He is in very good condition and has his left wing clipped. At this time of year these gents are thinking about father hood so become rather territorial, hence the aggressive behaviour.

Cheers

Scapa

Edited by Scapanapper

Hi there Jan,

I think Scapanapper is spot on very good ID

post-5087-1137657110_thumb.jpg

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi Jan

As a goose keeper I would say, that is a Toulouse Gander (domesticated breed). He is in very good condition and has his left wing clipped. At this time of year these gents are thinking about father hood so become rather territorial, hence the aggressive behaviour.

Cheers

Scapa

Thanks for the ID and the warning. I will give the ornery critter a wider berth next time I'm in his neck of the woods.

Guest Ferret1959
Thanks for the ID and the warning. I will give the ornery critter a wider berth next time I'm in his neck of the woods.

Didn't realise they was attracted to humans. ;)

Didn't realise they was attracted to humans. ;)

Oh they are in an aggresive way, but they rarely attack Ferrets so you should be OK.

Seriously though if you are confronted by an angry gander, face it and open your arms wide so you appear bigger. Don't turn your back on the blighters unless you want a lovely big bruise on your bum :headhurt:;)

Oh they are in an aggresive way, but they rarely attack Ferrets so you should be OK.

Seriously though if you are confronted by an angry gander, face it and open your arms wide so you appear bigger. Don't turn your back on the blighters unless you want a lovely big bruise on your bum :headhurt:;)

Where I used to work, geese would congregate and have little 'uns of their own right out in the parking lot. As it is, geese are protected in North Carolina and you can't even defend yourself w/o legal ramifications. These mean-spirited critter took over much of our parking lot using the pine needles the landscapers put around the bottom of trees for their nesting materials. One guy I worked with was chased and ended up scaling his car right up to the roof. Newt made me a "goose club" with a nail at the end. Were it between me or them I had no question who would come out the winner. The winner would then exit the scene very quickly. They are downright MEAN!!!!!