Time lapse

chesters1

Interested in doing some but my camera does no have this function ,asides for standing pressing the button on the camera every 30 seconds is there a cheap realistic way of doing it ,cheers

Saved and saved for a decent refurbed camera but even this new one does not have the function ,cant wait for friday for postie to bring it ,cheers

Still cant see why modern cameras dont have fitting on the button for remote pushy doodas so you dont joggle the camera on a tripod either

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You can buy an *Intervalometer* to do what you want. Make sure it's the right one for your make and model of camera.

This one is for some Nikon cameras_ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-lapse-intervalometer-Timer-Remote-Control-f-Nikon-D700-D200-D300-D300S-D100-/301197293136?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4620c1f650

Buttons for remote pushy doodas plug into a socket on the camera - the alternative is to use the self timer on a tripod.

Thanks ,i expect the gadget is for real cameras ,the camera i am getting is a fuji sl1000 which can do ultra slow but strangely not time lapse as far as i can see.

I presume your featured one screws into the button like old slr cameras ? I presume with a frame around the camera it could press on the button without it being screwed into it but screwed into a frame just above the button?

On closer look at another dooda its electrical not mechanical so needs a dedicated remote socket ,maybe mechanical ones out there?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I presume your featured one screws into the button like old slr cameras ? I presume with a frame around the camera it could press on the button without it being screwed into it but screwed into a frame just above the button?

On closer look at another dooda its electrical not mechanical so needs a dedicated remote socket ,maybe mechanical ones out there?

They are electronic these days - the plugs vary but the symbols used are very similar between camera - pic below of the socket on my 40D - my old 350D has the same feature but a different pin layout. It's the socket at bottom left.

post-1421-0-30681700-1401551991_thumb.jpg

You can still buy a *cable release* for remote shooting (and a bulb release - you can get further away with those) - I used to use one when digiscoping but had to make my own bracket - this connected to the tripod screw underneath and went around the camera to a threaded hole on top - it's tricky cos the thread on the cable release is tapered.

My camera shutter button had no thread to accept the release - it just had to push down on it from the anchoring bracket.

The self timer is a whole lot easier (and gives better results ) for occasional use.

Just remembered, you can also get a cable release with a velcro strap which (believe it or not) straps on to the camera.

Edit: It's the socket at the bottom left!

Edited by ayjay

I forgot about those ,probably got a few in the loft but i suspect my old pentax's had screw holes but a frame may get around it ,been looking at the internals of a remotely controlled socket ,its ofcourse 240v but with a few mods and a 9v relay......one for the long winter nights to think about

I forgot about those ,probably got a few in the loft but i suspect my old pentax's had screw holes but a frame may get around it ,been looking at the internals of a remotely controlled socket ,its ofcourse 240v but with a few mods and a 9v relay......one for the long winter nights to think about

Just edited my last post - I said the wrong socket - it's bottom left not bottom right. -_-

Not solving my problem but this is brilliant for motion timelapse

http://www.diygopro.com/diy-gopro-timelapse-egg-timer/

• 1 month later...

Would you adam and eve it ,been looking for a way to do timelapse and have been trying to link a gps tracker to my camera to pin point where i took pictures but the answer was under my nose all the time!

My playbook can geotag its pictures (the back camera is only 5mp but takes a good picture) and spending 75p on a bit of software lets me use the tablet to capture images from a second to many days and it thought out well enough to blank out the screen so saving power ,typical!

Not perfect but a damn sight easier than my other way

Chesters1,

My daughters cell and camera interact. she sets the timer on her phone to remote camera wifi trigger.

Would that work for you?

Phone

edit: batteries on phone run down in 3 or 4 hrs

Edited by Phone

• 1 month later...

Sorry i missed this reply mr bush ,unfortunately i went for big zoom over function ,lots of cameras have remote function but despite mine having a hot shoe it seems its limited to triggering flashes nothing more otherwise i could plug an intervolometer onto it.

My old phone has a job being a phone never mind talking to things Lol theres a slot to take 4 pennies on the back

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1