Barbel on club books

Kappa

So with the river season coming I wanted to get out barbelling again (its been years). So I was wondering would anyone be willing to share a club that has water with a decent head of barbel (I don't mind if they are small!)

I'm based south of Oxford and willing to travel up to an hour or so away.

I guess, the Ouse, the Warwickshire Avon maybe the Severn or Wye could be options? Maybe some of the rivers north of London?

I have previosuly been a Thatcham member on the Kennet but I think thats the only club I can join without being an assoicate as I'm too far from Newbury?

Thoughts? PM would be fine if you don't want to share on the forum!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Reading RDAA would be the obvious choice with Benyons, but it does get busy. Thatcham is a good ticket for you, also the Loddon on the Farnham ticket for small river barbelling just south of Reading. I am a member of both and would be more than happy to show you round and put you onto some fish if you decide to join either. Nice barbel on the Thames, from Wallingford down, but a challenge to find. Going north you've got the BAA waters on the Avon which are top quality.

Hope that helps

There's the Bristol Avon tributary you fished with Andrew and I, though while it is a charming little river you would probably be better joining one of the clubs with fishing on the main river.

Thanks Both!

Matthew, I've fished the Thatcham waters a fair bit I used to fish Padworth until I found it "too easy" and moved on (I have no idea what I was thinking). I have the impression that rainsford is harder than is used to be and of course Padworth has been lost?

I've always assumed Benyons is hell and so have kept away from there!

Only ever fished the Loddon once (on a monster of bust bit) are there bits that are more prolific?, I'm not interested in monsters just catching a few! If its small river fishing even better!

The BAA waters also sound interesting!

Steve, I did consider that one, I think its just a little too far and a little too busy.

Rich

You can fish Padworth from the other side courtesy of a deal TAA did with CALPAC. Funnily I always felt Rainsford was easier! But to be honest barbel catching has got a lot harder over the past 10 years from personal experience. The Loddon at Stamford End on the FAS ticket is definitely not monster or bust - that would be the Carters Hill/Sindlesham stretch. There is quite a reasonable head of barbel at Stamford End in the 6-8lb bracket with the odd double - nice chub in the winter too. BAA has some quality waters, the fish in my avatar came from the Avon near Evesham - it went 9.15!

Rich there is a day ticket bit on the Calpac stretch at Sulhampstead across from one of the famous Reading bits

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

clubs spring to mind for the upper ouse.

Vauxhall ac

Sharnbrook and radwell sections both use to be very prolific dont know how much so now. Along with kempston river section north of bedford

also has the sharnbrook pits where you can fish for bream and tench (plus obligatory carp)

parking in the complex i've always found safe. Night fishing allowed on both rivers and lakes with no extra rules.

Nene anglers assosciation

Turvey section of upper ouse plus another section down stream

believe it has night fishing restrictions.

MKAA

has adams mill and another section (forget name)

fairly sure there are night fishing restrictions to both

Verulum

has a section of radwell i know for sure might have other sections

no idea of rules (never been a member)

These are the main one that come to mind for upper ouse of those i listed i would go for vauxhall as it has much more river available.

Other areas i'd try to look into are felmersham and odell , but how you get to fish these areas now i have no idea. Felmersham is right next to odell and use to be Vauxhall ac ,when John wilson filmed his barbel video on vauxhall ac waters he was in this area and spent most of the video on the odell section, how he got permission no-one knows as odell werent credited on the video so we have our suspiscions.

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.