Royal commission report Is Ill informed and out dated.

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

This article was printed today by one of the local rags.I cant find the link for the web page so ill have to type this. Sorry for any typo's and other mistakes.

MOVES TO CUT FISHING BLASTED AS OUTDATED.

Moves to ban commercial fishing from nearly a third of british waters have been condemned by a leading whitby fishing industry agent.

A royal commission report on environmental pollution claims 30% of the uk's exclusive economic zone, which goes out 200 nautical miles from the countries shoreline should be closed to the commercial fishing industry.

The proposal was slammed by whitby agent Dave Winspear of alliance fish who said he was "angry and frustrated " at the report.

"its absolutely riduculous-ill informed and out of date" a whole raft of measures have been taken in recent years to protect fish stocks.

"Fishing fleets have been slashed and those left are only allowed to work 4 days a week"

"In whitby alone thousands are having to be spent on buying fishing quotas so the fishermen can make some sort of a living. AND THERE IS PLENTY OF FISH

- For the second year running there is the biggest biomass of haddock for 30 years "the situation regarding whiting is extremely healthy and we are catching increasing numbers of fish like bass, red mullet and squid that were previously caught very rarely from these shores"

'Admittedly there isnt codling in the numbers we used to see but that is due to climate change and is cyclic"

"if cod wants to be in colder water it will and if they close down the fishing industry here completely it wont bring the cod back"

"If the proposals in this report go ahead it will bankrupt the fishing industry and all its ancillary industries"

" in that case who are they preserving the fish for because there wont be a fishing industry left"

:it's just another ill informed report causing unnecassery panic. The industry has been under constant pressure in recent years"

"But at least this time it looks like the government minister is backing us"

Fisheries minister Ben The berk Bradshaw said in a bbc programme That the fight to preserve marine life is the second biggest battle facing the world today after climate change.

But he warned it would be premature to implement the measures recommended by the royal commission report. We need more time for the radical measures we have taken already to take effect.

Mr winspear said that the fishing industries agents across the country would be fighting the proposals.

I will be makin a reply to the editors letters column. Any suggestions on content for my letter would be much appreciated. Im sure people here must be able to pick a large hole in mr winspears claims?

dont no what to say, more of the usual crap from the commercials i guess, its the same old ***** all the time about there god given rights, one day they will wake up and realise there isnt none in todays money driven world.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Had nearly the same article written in the Lowestoft Journal this week with the same reasons but including wind farms as a " possible " reason as well, lol. Had similar written in the GT Yarmouth Mercury as well. Do you think they all come from the same ilk? I do.

Guest jay_con

Is there any available research evidence of the effects of global warming?. I remember that american guy who used to visit this forum. He told of lots of cod in northern america, The water temps there were far higher than here.

Is the north sea warmer than it was? 10 years ago?

so, if it does get warmer and they move on you still cant fish for them can you so why on earth is that an arguement to keep fishing for something that may not be there? erm.

so, not one fact to refute the RC's recommendatins based on their survey?

and why do they think the RC's report is out of date? do they really think that fish stocks bounce back in 2-3 years or even 5-10 for that matter? as if the whole fabric of the sea wakes up and goes "its alright lads, lets get shagging, we'll have this back to normal in no time!"...the fishing industry hasn't even come up with one piece of evidence to support that!

[ 11. December 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: gonefishing ]