If the pictures will be used commercially

Newt

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, Jan & I will be spending a couple of weeks in the UK in late May doing lots of fishing and visiting with people we now only 'know' from the forums.

We had a bright idea for helping offset some of the cost of the trip and since part of it will involve using some of the photos we will take in a commercial venture, I wanted some advice/ideas/opinions from people who have lots more experience in this area than I do.

We had already planned to take a large number of pictures during the trip. I now intend to use them with a written account of the trip in an e-book and to offer the e-book for sale after the trip. It may or may not actually sell many copies but it will allow us to claim much of the cost as tax deductions. We formed a corporation as part of setting up our pottery web site and that will allow quite a number of legit business expenses.

Will I need to get any sort of written release from people in photos that are used in the book?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what they say Newt..."any publicity is GOOD publicity"

Don't think you need to get permission, I never bothered when I used pics in articles.

Jim Gibbinson may know more, he wrote books you know :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi,

I know that if you are selling the images to make money then yes you do need them to sign somthing (cant remember the right name at the moment).

If you are just using to accopany (sp) some writing then I dont think you do.

Joel

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

No, according to UK law you do not need permission to sell photographs of other people as long as the pictures were taken lawfully. In addition the picture taker owns the copyright of their images.

For more UK specific info, see here :

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007Cve

and here :

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographersRights.pdf

It has been said before in other contexts but I'd like to repeat how amazing the wealth and breadth of knowledge we have on AN and how willing our members are to share what they know.

Gents - thank you.

I am really hoping that a narrative of how strange and wonderful the UK and UK angling are to an American on his first time doing any serious fishing off the North American continent and his first visiting in the UK will be fun to read.

It will certainly be fun to write.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's a shame you won't be here for the coarse River season as you really ought to have a go for some barbel! Never mind, you could always extend your trip or come again.

Coming again when our finances are more robust is a real possibility.

We wanted to make this trip during June so the coarse season would be open but airline ticket costs for us would double if either leg of the trip was on or after June 1st so we settled for as late in May as possible.

I just visited your pottery website for the first time, Newt. Very nice product line. I especially liked the bluebird house. Great idea. Good luck and I hope your business grows and forces you to quit your day job. :)

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Guest allibee
Will I need to get any sort of written release from people in photos that are used in the book?

Hi Newt, it's called a model release and from my forays into stock photography I know you need one for every model - including property releases for taking pix of buildings etc HOWEVER that is stock photography and not a roving blog type e-book. Not sure where you would stand with that but just make sure you have the subjects permission and try asking on dedicated photography forums

Allibee,

I'd be surprised if that was the case, as no newspaper would be able to publish photographs without permission and these 'stars' that claim they want privacy would have it.

I always understood that the photographer had the copyright.

As you say, though, probably a question that needs researching on a pro forum, that one.

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE