TV Remote Controls

Guest franticfisherman2

Guest franticfisherman2

In case you haven't heard of it, here's a handy tip. I bought a new telly a while back, got some discount cos it was a display model - the trouble was they gave me the wrong remote unit. It was the same make as the tv but it wouldn't work the telly.

This is what to do if you suspect your remote is faulty or is the wrong one; Turn on a radio (Your bedside tranny will do nicely) select the medium waveband and tune off station so you just hear static. Now hold the remote close to and pointing at the speaker and press one of the buttons. You will hear a loud "blipping " noise if the remote is working.

Try it with one you know is working now so you are prepared and you don't end up :wallbash:

That should only work with an RF remote.

For the infra red ones, look at the pointy end thru the LCD monitor on a camcorder or digital camera. You can see it flashing if it's working.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest franticfisherman2
That should only work with an RF remote.

For the infra red ones, look at the pointy end thru the LCD monitor on a camcorder or digital camera. You can see it flashing if it's working.

for some reason it works with IR remotes. I assume they must also be generating some radio waves as well as the IR signal!

In the early days of remotes, many of them used a sonic signal too high pitched to hear.

Moths have a defence mechanism to avoid being caught by bats.

When they detect the bat's sonic radar, they simply fold their wings and plummet.

It used to be fun to 'zap' moths flying around the room with the remote.

Pity it doesn't work with infra-red.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Weird that it seems to work with IR remotes.

Leon. I'm going to go looking for old remotes in junk shops now. If I find one with the word "Sonic" on it, it's mine.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.