Creating clip art - how to do it

Newt

Pottery clip art is only slightly more common than teeth in a chicken. Very little available and much of that, not very good.

I would love to be able to take some of our pottery photos and convert them to the small & simplified pictures used for clip art.

Is there software that allows this?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well yes it is possible in Photoshop to do this, although results will vary from picture to picture depending on the detail in the picture. Its possible with an action (one of those things again!) and here are some sketch actions available for free download, they all have example of before and after effects.

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#Sketch

I know you now have photoshop and if you need some giudelines on how to use the actions let me know and I'll put some instructions together for you.

I've just tried a couple (using a pic from your site) and results are mixed, I think it may be just a case of finding the right action, OR finding a tutorial and making an action. Have a look at the page above first though to whet your appetite.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I've just found an action and run it heres the result,

The first is your picture from your site, 2nd is the cutout I did, and the third is the cutout with the action run on it..

JaNeClip.gif

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Steve - as always, thank you. That is exactly the sort of thing we are looking to do. We plan to devote a page of the pottery site to this type of clip art and offer it as free for the downloading.

We'll try a few today (well, Jan will and I'll watch an cheer her on) and either post back with some results or some additional questions - or most likely, with both.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well here is the action file that made the above clipart.. You'll need to "cut out" the pots from the background first, then run the action file.

ClipArtMaker.zip

Focal Planet

Well yes it is possible in Photoshop to do this, although results will vary from picture to picture depending on the detail in the picture. Its possible with an action (one of those things again!) and here are some sketch actions available for free download, they all have example of before and after effects.

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#Sketch

I know you now have photoshop and if you need some giudelines on how to use the actions let me know and I'll put some instructions together for you.

I've just tried a couple (using a pic from your site) and results are mixed, I think it may be just a case of finding the right action, OR finding a tutorial and making an action. Have a look at the page above first though to whet your appetite.

Steve

Steve,

I love quite a few of the actions on the page your link points to. When I finally wake up I'll see if I can get a simple grasp on actions and how they work. Thanks muchly for your help on this and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me later.

Jan