Coming round to like photography.

Dave H

I love getting to see others photographs especially nature but i hate taking them myself. It must have been spending a long time in the desert with the Bedouin tribesmen who would destroy your camera if you took pictures of them as it destroyed their soul they thought.

To me what is in the past stays in the past? I don’t even take pictures of fish i catch or very few and although interested in history my actions even now in life stay in the past with others too and their actions. Maybe i want to forget my past for diverse reasons but i guess there is some part of all of us we do but i do envy great photography and i am coming round now of thinking of maybe starting and getting over this notion i have entrenched in my brain..

Some of these fast shutter speed shots are magnificant. I have done a few like this one..

So how do i start taking serious photographs and i mean quality ones not stick the thing in Auto

Where do i start guys

Here is one to pick over. i did muck about with it a bit

This is a Gyr/Saker falcon i fly ...

f283ad4a-d586-4da6-8c1e-8742356cc68d_zps

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

What camera do you have or do you plan to buy a different one?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What camera do you have or do you plan to buy a different one?

........and what do you want to take pics of?

Not everything needs a particularly fast shutter speed, for birds, with a long lens, one of the main requirements is good unpolluted light, it's one of the hardest things to get in the warmer months, unless you're out really early.

You'll also need to learn a little bit of post-processing - a very quick bit of noise removal shown on your pic below.

post-1421-0-65697300-1401896093_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

you'll get a different answer from everyone but there are golden rules that will help:

my fave is the rules of thirds...

I use it like this:

if you have a landscape picture then split in into thirds with vertical lines and thirds with horizontal lines.

this will give you four points where the lines intersect. those are your focal points. crop a photo so that the point you want to primarily focus on is on one of those points! it really help composition!

next: don't try everything at once! focus on getting one thing fixed in your head: shutter speed for instance. what happens when you speed up and slow down? bracket your shots as you play about! take one on what you think is the right setting; then adjust up and shoot and adjust down and shoot! it's great to see the results and helps understanding alot!

With captive birds you should be able to get some very good photo's. What you can achieve is how much time you are willing spend learning to take good shots and the camera you have. There are some very good internet forums where you will find all the advise you need for wildlife photography, ( http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/ ) Point and shoot camera's won't give you those spectacular shots you see in National Geographic, you'd really need a decent DSLR and a couple of reasonable lens anything up to 600mm. Having captive birds also lets you get some darn good close ups too.

Once you start getting some good shots you'll need some Photo editing software as very few shots come out of a camera as you'd have hoped. I shoot in Camera Raw, not Jpegs as there is three times the information to play with in Photoshop PM me if you your interested in Photoshop.

I spent months trying to get a good shot of a local Barn Owl.

Exif

f/ 6.7

Shutter 1/250 sec.

ISO 400

Subject distance 28.2 metres

Lens 120-400mm

Focal length 400mm.

My Canon 500d is a cropped sensor, 1.6 so using a 120-400mm lens you multiply the focal length by 1.6, ie 400 X 1.6 = 640mm.

As you can see this is pretty good photo using not too expensive equipment.

If you want any more advise keep posting as it is a very absorbing hobby.

BarnOwl1_zps282f46a8.jpg

Edited by Manxman

Not seen a barn owl around here but are plagued with tawnies ,far harder to see them they are masters of going thin and blending in with the trees to avoid the magpies and jackdaws ,there was a young one on our fence calling for food last night but they are easily spooked ,they make a shweep noise asking for food the wip noise you hear are females

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ac couple of nice ones there Kiri, Barn owls aren't that common around here. I have found two nesting sites one of which I'm trying to work out as how to photograph the young when they appear out of the nest box. I don't want to disturb them by going into the small building. I know the owner and as it's never going to be inhabited again I'll ask if I can pull a few slates off the roof so I can view them from outside next year.

Do you have a good population of Barn Owls down your way in Norfolk?

We have a massive Buzzard population, but no matter how slowly you approach them, on foot or in a car as soon as you point a camera at them they're off in a hurry. Not surprising really as they were persecuted for many years.