braid on centrepins anyone?

jeepster

er, I might have lied about using 4lb braid.

I bought it here: http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/M...ine_Braids.html

And now I think it is the 6lb floating braid that I used.

By the way, when thinking colour for a floating line, don't think angler looking down into the water, think fish underwater looking up to the surface.

Light Green matches the colour of vegetation often found floating along on the surface, and when long trotting it's good to be able to see when the line has too many 'snakes' in it and needs mending.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a softish rod and trotting with a decent length of line out you should be Ok with a Mono link to braid. BUT......believe me, the mono link will try to absorb all the stretch on a short line and ..Crack... it will go just like that on a lunge or sudden hard pull, especially under the rodtop.

If you must use mono hooklength, I reckon you need about twice the bs of the braid to be safeish.

If you are using a pin for the first time and barbel/carp fishing on a short line be sure to slacken the drag a little as a Teme type bite can crack you off before the pin has caught up.

You don't have to believe me, but speaking from hard learnt experience from self other anglers coming for lessons.

Graham

Edited by Graham Elliott

you say 'if you must use a mono hooklength' does that mean you don't? you use braid straight through?

i usually don't bother with mono hooklengths if i'm ledgering, i use the softness of the rod and the clutch to soften the blow, but as the 'pin doesn't have any drag.......

also not sure what you mean by slackening the drag on the 'pin, my aventa doesn't have drag, neither does nay other 'pin i've seen?

i know some people choose to use a short length of pole elastic Incorporated into their setup between the braid and hooklink to aborb any sudden lunges and to have a safety cushion not tried it yet myself but i'll look into it when i try the heavier braid on my other pin soon.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i used a similar set up on my fixed spool reel and feeder rod when i first started using it with braid steve, i have to report it was a total and utter waste of time and effort :)

theres some off the guys on another forum are going to timsbury manor soon and i think one or two use the nicker elastic approach in their setups i'll ask them about it .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Jeeps. Yes I use braid straight through for legering. I use mono when trotting, but then again all my trotting is the stick /avon etc float not waggler etc.

The majority of pins have an adjustable drag setting by altering the clutch (if they have one) or the round screw like twisty thingies on the inner drum spindle.

:clap:

Graham

post-4558-1138227231_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham Elliott

I use mono when trotting, but then again all my trotting is the stick /avon etc float not waggler etc.

:clap:

Graham

I've just got some stick floats some chubber and some trott floats to use with a pin.

Just curious why you use mono rather than braid?

Also what mono would you recomend?

Tigger.

Edited by tigger