Sunset / sunrise pictures

n4lly

Guest Finepix
That's my fave so far. :thumbs:

This was taken two hours ago on Blackpool prom, any tips on how to enhance it in photoshop?

Exif data

Date/Time: 2006:01:26 16:26:45

Focal length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)

Exposure time: 1/60

Aperture: f/13.0

ISO equiv.: 200

Circular polariser fitted.

Blimey, does it need any enhancing?? You could probably just sharpen it to bring the clouds out a bit more? Stunning image ...........

Great shot Rabster..:clap2:

First try slight curves adjustment, then "Image/adjustments/Shadow & Highlight" (CS2 only) to bring out the foreground using the shadow slider

sun1.jpg

Second try used auto levels and cropped only.

sun2.jpg

Julia, nicely cloned out..;)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Hope you don't mind, but I cloned the balconies out just to see what it would look like, also adjusted the contrast ...

post-6938-1138301227_thumb.jpg

course i don't mind :)

looks pretty good :)

• Like 1

thanks rabs thanks steve here's the image at 700 pixels :D

btw when posting how do u attach an image and have it appear in the forum dialogue instead of a small thumbnail 'click to enlarge' image??? cheers guys :thumbs:

oh and loving that blackpool piccy.. awesome!

post-5781-1138304456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue Marlin

First try slight curves adjustment, then "Image/adjustments/Shadow & Highlight" (CS2 only) to bring out the foreground using the shadow slider

Thanks n4lly, Finepix & steve for your comments - & steve, I love what you've done with it, particularly the 1st one. I need to make better use of post shot processing. For instance, I've never used curves, I saw your brief tutorial on here a few weeks ago & couldn't quite get my head round the squiggly line on the graph, so thought I'd leave well alone - but I now feel inspired to give it a try.

Cheers

Cliff

btw when posting how do u attach an image and have it appear in the forum dialogue instead of a small thumbnail 'click to enlarge' image??? cheers guys

Marlin, you need to upload to somewhere like photobucket etc & then post your image as a link.

Edited by rabster

oh sorry i see now, did a rightclick> properties.. the shown images are on a different server not angersnet... silly me hehehe, ta anyways :D just saw ur reply, thanks rabster

Edited by Blue Marlin

This was taken two hours ago on Blackpool prom, any tips on how to enhance it in photoshop?

prom_sunset011.jpg

Exif data

Date/Time: 2006:01:26 16:26:45

Focal length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)

Exposure time: 1/60

Aperture: f/13.0

ISO equiv.: 200

Circular polariser fitted.

This is how I would tweak it.

I would first use 'Levels'. Image, Adjustments, Levels

I would then use 'Hue/Saturation'. Image, Adjustments, Hue/Saturation

Then 'Colour Balance'. Image, Adjustments, Colour Balance

But not always in the above order.

I always finish off by seeing if 'Unsharp Mask' will add the finishing touch to my photo. Filter, Sharpen, Unsharp Mask - I use in the region of 5-50% - i.e. depending on the sharpness required.

I then play about with 'History' to see if I have made the right decisions.

Charlie

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

Thanks n4lly, Finepix & steve for your comments - & steve, I love what you've done with it, particularly the 1st one. I need to make better use of post shot processing. For instance, I've never used curves, I saw your brief tutorial on here a few weeks ago & couldn't quite get my head round the squiggly line on the graph, so thought I'd leave well alone - but I now feel inspired to give it a try.

Cheers

Cliff

Marlin, you need to upload to somewhere like photobucket etc & then post your image as a link.

Where can I find the piece you did on curves Steve.

Where can I find the piece you did on curves Steve.
My way:-

Before:-

prom_sunset011.jpg

After:-

prom.jpg

Note how much sharper the lamp post is.

When all said and done, it's all down to personal preference.

Edited by charliebettell

My compliments to all who submitted photos to this thread. Excellent images, a real eyeful.

Here are a few sunrise photos taken by me in the summer of 2004 on Lake Michigan. I've been blessed to see many vivid sunrises while fishing, since I generally begin in the pre-dawn darkness. Both photos were taken with an Olympus C-700 digital set on automatic.

Off Port Sheldon.

fishing200427.jpg

Off Muskegon. A thick morning mist hides the shorline.

fishing200434a.jpg

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain