Back to Fishing after 20 odd year. First post so please be nice

Judostu

As the title suggests, I haven’t been fishing for about 20 years but have decided to go with a neighbour in the next couple of weeks.

Looking through all my old fishing gear I just wanted to check weather my old gear is any good.

I was bequeathed a couple of Shimano Baitrunner reels by an uncle who died several years ago, are these any good? Also I have no idea what poundage the line is. Is there an easy way of finding out?

He also left me a couple of carp rods but there is no make on those.

I’ve thrown away all my old barbed hooks and replaced with barbless but I also have a number of swimfeeders and swing tips. Do people still use these as this will probably be what I’ll use.

I also understand that it’s now necessary to have a landing mat, is that right?

Anything I need to consider?

Thanks

Hi Judostu and welcome to Anglers Net.

The Shimano baitrunners are very good reels indeed but if the line is several years old, best replace it anyway.

Swimfeeders have never gone out of fashion and swing tips are slowly making a comeback too, so don't throw those away :)

Many fisheries stipulate that you must use a unhooking mat if you target carp or pike, and IMO is a good idea. Although grass may look soft, any short tough stems could damage the fish (or even blind it in one eye if it's unlucky). They come in all price ranges from Cheap up to Stupid and are a good investment. Barbless hooks are good, though you could look at micro-barbed too....

Old gear is just as good as it always was :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Welcome back to fishing, I agree with what John says about replacing the line - also think about what tyounplan on targeting - carp up to 15/20lb I would say 10lb line and same for tench. Landing mat necessary if planning on taking pics as people generally go ballistic if you don't have on in the shot - I only use one when going for pike , perch and carp everything else gets unhooked in the mat and put back into the water

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Shimano reels are very good, especially the older black ones which I prefer, I would like to know what models you have as they do actually become quite sought after, especially if they are in good condition. As suggested replace the old line and re spool with fresh line, up to the spool rim, depending on what species you are targeting will obviously determine the breaking strain, or barbel I use 10lb or possibly 12. Spray the reels with something like 3 in 1 oil, and make sure the drag are loosened after each outing, keeping them tight will weaken springs, hopefully the reels will have been stored this way.

Mats are a contentious issue, especially on here, most commercial insist on them, but if you like to rove rivers then they are a great aid, especially as a seat, and of course to rest your capture on.

I assume you are looking at Carp fishing? If so it has moved away from what it was 20 years ago to a hi tech sport, personally I don't indulge in that, my fishing is on Rivers mostly, after anything that swims, but Barbel is my love, but I suppose the rule is KISS, keep it simple stupid, all you need is some reasonable gear, sturdy legs and huge faith, and you will be well and truly hooked again.

Good luck!!

Has the neighbour got any kit he can lend to you for testing purposes before you splash out

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

jud,

You know what ? I'd go ahead and change the line just for confidence sake. Fishing hasn't changed in 20 years (or really in 200 years). Don't worry about being "properly up to date" at first as that will come as you gravitate toward particular species.

Phone

My line suggestions would not be appropriate for England.

Thanks for the replies guys.

For my first spot of fishing this Sunday i'll probably be looking to go with swimfeeders/swing tip using 4lb line and a size 16 hook and looking to net a few bream, roach & Tench. I'm fishing a place that's literally next to where I live called Old Bury Hill in Surrey, have you heard of it and is it any good?

Re the Baitrunners, my uncle used them in his carp set up but I assume they are ok to use for the above set up i mentioned?

thanks again

Bury Hill is a well run fishery and the main lake quite pretty this time of year. You even have the option of hiring a punt to fish from ( book in advance to avoid disappointment ) should you so wish. Plenty of Bream and Tench up there plus two other smaller lakes ( a runs small Carp water and a mixed lake with Crucians and some larger Perch ). If you want to feeder fish you could do a lot worse than getting yourself on the front bank and fish for the Bream there. Staff in shop there usually very helpful, cafe on site. If memory serves me correctly there used to be a minimum line strength of 6lb on the main lake. If you really want a pleasant day get out floatfishing from one of the punts and move around a bit ( 'jungle' area of the lake always good for the Tench, fishing in towards the bankside sunken trees and bushes}. Hope this helps.

PS Unhooking mats compulsory. Check out their website for further details.

Edited by Bartman