Fish theft, again.

Peter Waller

Thanks for that Brian, just a thought but nice to know its a no-no.

Bobs right to be concerned though. If, for example, there are 500 pikers out on the Broads today, not an unreasonable guesstimate, each with half a dozen naturel baits, that's 3000 dead fish. If we accept the 40% figure from a large local tackle shop that means that there are 1200 dead, or dying coarse fish on the banks of the Broads today. Multiply that by the 20 weeks of the traditional pike season and we arrive at 24,000 dead coarse fish. Half that for good measure and it is still an awful lot of fish. So now we come up with 12,000 fish and divide that between bream, roach and trout, lamprey maybe, and its still a few thousand roach that us pikers use in a year. Frightening really.

Then, on top of that, we have the toll of match angling, mink, otters, grebe, salt incursion, eels, pike, perch, keepnets, fyke nets, illegal restocking, cormorants and pollution, tis a wonder that we have any roach left.

Bob, don't tell Keith Arthur, he might just make an issue of it! But yes, I agree, its is a concern.

Edited by Peter Waller

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think Bob that with this last post of yours , you've managed to destroy any last scrap of credibility your argument had. First post of yours says you don't blame predator anglers for fish thefts and now you do, well I'm glad you've come out of the closet as far as substance to any theory goes.

Edited by Bob Bradford

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Bob please do as Brian suggests and go and try dipping for live baits.If it is that easy to get them at the Wetsheds then please let me know so I can get mine from there as well. And now youve advertised it expect hundreds more too.

The taking of fish for bait by anglers will never affect fish stocks on a healthy water system.Just how many do you think a predator angler needs?

As I said before Bob if there is a problem then you are looking in the wrong direction and your worries about pikers taking baits or unscrupulous netsmen supplying the bait barrons are just clouding the waters.Not to mention alienating anglers who otherwise would be supporting you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Bob, keepnets damage fish, this has been proved beyond any reasonable doubt. Why do commercial venues allow keepnets? You have answered your own question, because they are commercial. So what, 5% mortality rate, top up with 5% from the fish farms, same place most deadbaits come from.

I have suggested 12,000 dead coarse fish because of pikers, no one has questioned that, yet. But I doubt that more than a tiny fraction of those are caught by pikers themselves. Why do you think dead baiting is so popular? Because we are lazy buggers, its a damn sight easier to put our hands in the freezer. I seriously doubt that any more than 5% of all pike coarse baits, used on a national basis, let alone on the Broads, are wild fish.

Us Broadlanders all know that within days of June 16th there will be slabs floating along the rivers of the Broads, dead and probably dead from being left in a keepnet. No mate, its not us pikers, look elsewhere for a scapegoat.

Another thing, Bob, ask any keen piker where he gets coarse deads from. Its even been recommended on AN more than a few times. Just nip down any match length the day after a match.

the authority's will always find it almost impossible to stop "others" from taking and killing fish for monetary gain or human consumption.

Bob, I have in the past, and will continue, to take the odd "one for the pot" I see nothing wrong with this.

Why don't we ban hooks, mono, braid, keepnets.... angling. come on PETA we're ready for the taking. :cc_surrender:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, I was expecting such a predictable reply, and frankly ,I am disappointed mate, it would be much better if you constructed a good ,sound argument, something that would perhaps change my views?

Which of us, are looking at the big picture?

I'm so sorry your dissappointed in me Bob. Maybe my reply was a bit flipant.

Who's looking at the big picture? Certainly not you Bob. Making wild unsubstansiated accusasions towards certain forms of angling, that you dont agree with, can only give the antis more, and bigger sticks to hit us with! Divide and conquer remember. I suggest that you look at the basics of what angling is all about, hunting a prey. Thats the bottom line. I will continue to take the odd fish for the pot, because I like them, and it's legal. I've said in previous posts that, to me angling is more than just catching fish, but that does not mean the taking of the odd trout, jack, grayling or what ever is against that belief.

As for a good sound argument changing your views, well Ive read a few good sound arguments in this thread, and they haven't made a scrap of difference to your views.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can we rely on our Governing body, the NFA, to address these issues ?

governing body ??? they dont govern me

<_<

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson