Fish theft, again.

Peter Waller

Gozzer , Where do I state I do not agree with pike angling?

How do you know what I really think? How do you know I have not been swayed by other peoples views?

This is a forum, where we debate , I happen to believe it is the very best angling forum for debate, of course I put forward as strong an argument as I can, how else am I going to learn another point of view?

I will ask this; Can we rely on our Governing body, the NFA, to address these issues ? I doubt it, I feel strongly enough to raise matters of such importance with my fellow anglers on here so we may all be enlightened and decide what is best for our sport/pastime, I realise you do not know me personally, but please do not question my motives, I think this particular topic has had an excellent response, and it is refreshing (to me at least) there have been no personal attacks made on others, and people are debating this so well ,regards, Bob.

Bob, as you say I dont know you personally,so I can only use what I read, to help form an opinion.

I have not made any personal attack on you, only on what I percieve as your thoughts on angling and anglers. You have stated that, you believe predator anglers are responsible for the missing fish stocks.

You have made clear your views on anyone taking fish to eat. I have heard other branches of angling come under attack in this thread, not always by you. I will always defend the right of any person to have an opinion, (even the antis) as I will defend my right to disagree with it. But attacks on angling by anglers does nothing to help our cause. I believe you have a problem in your area, on what scale I do not know, but on my own experience of Woods boat yard( is it still called that, it's a few years since I was there) then the only way I could see anyone using landing nets to scoop out fish, is first to use a large net to force the fish into a small enough area to enable the use of landing nets. At night this would involve manpower and lights which would make it fairly easy to detect. When I joined this forum only a few weeks ago, I promised myself I would not get too involved in any of the heavier topics, damn I lied.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Bob,

I'm pretty sure that when asked, any bait dealer or his agents working on his/her behalf almost certainly "wouldn't" disclose their sources. To do so, would open up details of their business to anyone that might well want to mirror their own success? None labeling of products could merely mean that the bait business, or business's in question have simply realised they don't need to label their products in order to sell their wares? Clever marketting doesn't always involve spending considerable amounts of money on labels or advertising especially when "agent's" (tackle shops) are doing the selling for you. As far as I'm aware Bob, fishing bait doesn't come under the same legislation applied to products for human consumption therefore there's no legal requirement to provide information on the packaging.

Regards,

Lee.

governing body ??? they dont govern me

<_<

Reminds me of Monty Python...

King Arthur: I am your king.

Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well how'd you become king then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

exactly :clap: a great film ruined by its ending :(

i still cannot watch the french on the wall scene without tears of joy

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the info trent. barbeler, if that is fact ,that explains that one.

Gozzer, As you will be aware , in the Herbert woods boatyard at Potter Heigham, there are 3 huge wetsheds

Edited by Bob Bradford

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I am not sure that the NFA ever governed anyone, hence the emergence of numerous representative bodies that felt, with some justification, that the NFA was not truly representative. And now we have FACT, which includes the NFA.

That aside, all things considered, we have a problem and it appears that new legislation is just around the corner, which, doubtless, the CA will take credit for!!

By the way, Bob, your last posting is a fair and reasonable account, but it can only lead to guess work.

My own garden pond, quite deep, is now empty of fish, and I know the cause, the bloody tom from across the road. But atleast I saw him at it.

Peter, I will try to get onto Keith's Radio program "Fishermen's Blues" tomorrow (Sunday between 6am and 8am on Medium Wave 1053/1089)

I will raise this thorney subject with him and see what response it achieves.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I think Bob that what you are after will turn out to be a very large sledgehammer to crack a very small nut to curb a practice that you reckon is happening inside the wet sheds of Woods yard but nowhere else on the broads apparently. Its strange that nowhere else in the UK seem to be having this problem that you say exists in Norfolk and in this one particular place only.

Is what you want and thats new and more rigourously enforced legislation really warranted, to be applied nationwide when the very small nut that needs to be cracked is one small boatyard in Norfolk smacks of desperation to prove a point.

Now from what I can remember those wetsheds are only accessable from either the water with a boat or through access via the boatyard itself, so I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how what you alledge is actually happening. If the boats are tightly packed in those sheds then the possibility of dragging a specimen landing net through the boats to get at the fish below just has no substance to it. How many fish would someone have to remove to empty a shed full of fish to the point where only one 3 oz fish was there to be caught. Tens of thousands of fish would have to be removed from that area to totally denude the water of fish, just how would someone transport that amount of fish and how could they do it secretly

How many fish baits would a few predator anglers be able to use in the coarse of a season, obviously not as many as you say are being removed, what few baits predator anglers do legally catch and use over a season would not do any damage to a rivers ecology or biomass of fish

Peter, I will try to get onto Keith's Radio program "Fishermen's Blues" tomorrow (Sunday between 6am and 8am on Medium Wave 1053/1089)

I will raise this thorney subject with him and see what response it achieves.

I might just listen in. Might being the operative word, 6.00 to listen to Keith arghhhhthur! Actually I do enjoy his thoughts in AT, that rags only saving grace. Good luck, and watch out for flying trebles!!

Edited by Peter Waller