Fish theft, again.

Peter Waller

Guardian Angels of Angling?

Pairs of anglers wandering around quietly reminding the ignorant and the miscreants about licences,litter,close seasons,good practice etc etc? I suspect the average Joe on the riverbank would be delighted to see them.

(When street crime in New York got too much for some to bear they formed their own volunteer patrols, "The Guardian Angels". Brief history at http://www.guardianangels.org/history_full.html )

Hi I'm back after a bit of PC trouble, ok now I hope. I thought that having a license or a club year book makes you an honourary bailiff, and as such, should keep an eye open for any illegal practices on the water.

I have both challenged and advised anglers in various situations, and given the right approach never had more than a few hard words(except for a few kids who shout abuse from a distance). We all have a responsability to "police " the waters we fish. Maybe if the anglers in Bobs neck of the woods did it, this thread would never have been posted.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Brian.

The morals of transporting livebaits arnt what we are discussing here so I wont be drawn in to it.Feel free to start another thread on the subject if you want Mr Mathew.I will gladly give my veiws and stance on the subject.But not here.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Back on track

I don't know what caused those fish scales on the boardwalks Bob, but one thing is sure and that it warrants further digging and a little more action from the EA, after all that's what they are suppossed to be doing and that's protecting our waterways.

However I do think that you're barking up the wrong tree as far as your argument goes. First of all you said you don't blame predator anglers and now you do. You said netsmen were to blame for fuelling the deadbait industry with broadland fish from the yards and now you say thats not the case. Then you said that live fish were the target for the netsmen. Now you say its a few predator anglers with a landing net scooping up the fish from a confined space. Anyone who has attempted to scoop out or sample a piece of water with a landing net will know just how much of an impossibility that is especially between tightly packed boats

Well whichever one you blame next may still not be right but if you continue with your blunderbuss approach to blame then eventually I'm sure you'll get it right but in the meantime instead of getting the support of a lot of predator anglers who value all stocks of all species, all I can see is that you'll get the backs up of the very people who would be in a position to help you. Perhaps if you had approached this whole problem from a different angle then the outcome may have been better as far as relations between predator and match and coarse anglers go.

As previously stated none of us, me you nor anyone else know the real reasons for the fish scales so all our answers and responses are based on our own feelings and experiences especially as to the amounts of coarse fish that we use as deadbaits over the course of a season, and because of that some of us doubt the claims that predator anglers are plundering fish stocks to over stock on our dead bait supplies

Back on track

Hi Brian, I agree with your comments in your last post, that's what angers me, when anglers start backbiting, and blaming other anglers for incidents without any proof. Trying to take fish from the area with a landing net,seems impracticle to say the least, the use of one would, after a scoop send the rest of the fish panicing. The movement of such large numbers of fish, en masse, could be due to a number of factors, water temp, level, the movement of boats in the marina during maintainance, predators(both aquatic and land based) or even a spillage of something used in the boatyard. I wish Bob had posted the pictures he took of the scales, because a lot of scales can come from a few mishandled fish. If fish are taken by mink or otter the story doesn't end there, anything left is food for, foxes,cats,rats, crows etc, leaving very little, if any, evidence to the original killer. Bob answered one of my questions in an earlier post, about access to the sheds, it seems there are no barriers to anyone entering them. This would worry me if I owned any of the craft in there. Anyone after making money from the sheds,would surely find parts from the boats a more profitable prospect than taking fish. Bob, if you read this, then could you tell me if any other match results, from this year, have the same dramatic fall in catches.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good point about the match results Gozzer.If I remember right when Bob first brought this up it was suggested that the fish had merely moved to a different part of the water in a seasonal move.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I apologise for my "Blunderbuss" approach and have edited my earlier posts, I will not be participating in any further discussions regarding this issue,as it is quite clear I have no idea what I am talking about, I hope no-one has taken offence and thank you for your patience, I am an open match angler that knows very little of the other aspects of our wonderful sport/pastime, I realised by re-reading my comments I am in error on a number of points and please accept my apology's, i am truly embarrassed by the whole issue,Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I apologise for my "Blunderbuss" approach and have edited my earlier posts, I will not be participating in any further discussions regarding this issue,as it is quite clear I have no idea what I am talking about, I hope no-one has taken offence and thank you for your patience, I am an open match angler that knows very little of the other aspects of our wonderful sport/pastime, I realised by re-reading my comments I am in error on a number of points and please accept my apology's, i am truly embarrassed by the whole issue,Bob.

Bob, nothing to apologise for mate, I dont think anyone has taken offence, I certainly haven't. I believe something is happening in your area, on what scale I don't know. If nothing else this thread has got anglers talking (look at the views and post figures) and I think a number of good points have been raised. You've put forward your views, and people have responded, not always in your favour, but thats what discussion is all about. Cheers and good luck with your investigations.

It's a shame that you feel that you have to remove your posts Bob because this has been one of the more interesting debates on here for quite some time. If I have been the reason for your withdrawal of posts then I would feel quite distressed by that as I felt that most of the posts on this subject have been posted in the proper manner without personal animosity.

If after reconsidering, you would contact admin and see if they could repost your comments as they form an integral and indeed pivotal core to this thread.

At the very least I can see from your last post that you still retain a sense of humour