Lure chucking

tommo666

The real problem is that the Ondex lacks aerodynamics...ie it wont cast for toffee and that furry red tail doesn't help.

That is true enough, but the upside is that once in the water and that large blade is fluttering, Ondex is a very good fish-catcher, so its worth a bit of effort to get it out there.

I have just bought some Mepps-type small spinners in Texas, and most have "furry tails" attached to the treble. Someone (I think it was Fred Buller) once said such a tail was necessary to ensure the rear treble fished properly. At the time the Toby-style lure was held up as an example of a not-very-good rear treble. I have certainly missed takes on tobies in the past, and replaced the rather small treble with a larger one, complete with furry tail. Would be interested in what other lure fishers think about these "furry tails" (Alright, alright, I know some of you think of little else :D :D )**

Winding some heavy flexible wire around the central bar of the Ondex helps add some casting weight and doesn't mess with the action too much. Makes it fish a bit deeper though, which may or may not be an advantage, depending on circumstances.

Have not done quite so much lure fishing of recent years, but aim to put that right soon

** Don't know much about the pop scene, but wasn't it the Monkees who used to sing "I used to think that life was just a furry tail.....but now I'm a believer" :o:o

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Blimey they aren't cheap!!!!!!!!!

You could try these :- http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/cgi-bin/at...Pike_Dawgs.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

we are talking about uk perch here right?? not Nile perch eh lol! if so then I'm scratching my head.. have i got this wrong or is 10lb line WAY to strong for catching perch let along 30lb braid!!!! bonkers

u want 3 - 4lb line max (the lighter the line the further the cast and you'll cover loads more water on the retieve) a right light rod outfit and a mepps or blue fox type spinner and you'll be laughing..

good luck, tight lines...

I think my friend Mr Marlin that you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

The advice been given by myself and others about line strength is absolutly 100% bang on.

What we have said is that the braid that he is using at 30lb is far too heavy for the gear that the angler is using, and that IF he wanted to use braid in spinning for perch then 8/10lb BRAID is more in keeping with the diameter of correct line to be used rather than the strength itself. Braid in 8/10lb is probably the equivelant of 3lb line when comparing diameters of the two.

Should he wish to use mono then the responses may have been different but seeing as how he was using braid and wanted to know how to make his gear more efficient thays what the repsonses were based on

PowerPro braid

8 lb b/s = 0.005" diameter so about 1 lb mono

10 lb b/s = 0.006" diameter so about 2 lb mono

I dunno about anyone else but I cannot imagine being able to manage a line that was any smaller and especially since the PowerPro line is less stiff than a mono of the same diameter.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Followed Brian's advice and spooled my reel with 10lb braid. The reel by the way is a small Daiwa Laguna 2500. Now casts a treat. Went out today and caut 3lb chubb on verty first cast but nothing else :angry:

Thanks Brian

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish