Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, 1/26/2006

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Despite windy conditions, this weeks fishing expeditions have produced respectable results, and a sore back from paddling in the wind. The long range forecast has blustery conditions through the upcoming weekend, so we will just have to live with a bit of breeze if we want to fish.

My first day on the water was scouting trip in the Mosquito Lagoon with my good friend Captain John Kumiski, and we found happy fish on the first flat we checked. The wind was from the east at 10 to 15 knots with overcast skies, so we started on the east shore and drifted the flat blindly throwing DOA Cals, RipTide Flats Chubs, and Stanley Wedge Tail Jigs combined with Woodie’s Rattles and we ended up with 10 slot redfish within the first hour. Next, we fished our way to the north end of Mosquito Lagoon only to catch a dozen or so small sea trout. We ended the day with a blast by watching the launch of the New Horizons space mission to Pluto.

My second adventure was a trip to the No-Motor Zone on Friday the 20th accompanied again by my good friend Captain John Kumiski. The weatherman missed the mark once more, and a northeast 5 to 10 turned into a 15 to 20 with overcast skies, not a nice day for fly fishing from kayaks. In spite of the tough conditions John still managed 6 redfish, with 2 pushing the 20-pound mark, all caught on black clouser minnow. As for me, I spent most of my efforts keeping my kayak from spinning in circles as the wind blow me across the lagoon.

On Monday the 23rd, I returned to the No-Motor Zone, this time in my Old Town canoe joined by Captain Chris Myers. Again, we faced a stiff 15-knot south wind, but through hard work and determination we managed to locate a school of large black drum. Due to the windy conditions, cloudy skies, and dirty water, we decided use spin tackle, and Chris was the first to hook-up throwing a green Exude crab, only to pull hook on the fish after a short skirmish. It was my turn next when a huge black drum picked up a Gulp Crab I had chunked out from my stern position as Chris stood in the front trying to spot the school. I knew this was a big fish by the way it pulled drag, so my thoughts were, even pressure, take your time, and don’t palm the spool, but after about 10 minutes of not turning the fish, impatiens got the best of me, and I began to palm the spool. Well, you know the end to that story. My 20-pound fluorocarbon leader separated from the hook, right where my loop knot was tied. With the wind beginning to howl, we lost the battle to stay with the fish, and we started working our way back. Soon Chris spotted a large redfish less than 10 feet from the boat. He flipped his green Exude Crab out and let it flutter to the bottom, and to our surprise, the big fish ate. Chris ended up landing and releasing a nice 30-pound plus redfish, which would be our only fish for the day.

Today, due to the windy conditions, I decided to head to the St. Johns River and see if the American shad had arriver, and to my delight, I can tell you they have. I launched at Hwy 46 south of Lake Harney, and from there I headed south towards Puzzle Lake. I ended the day catching 7 shad. Five of the shad were caught on a pink Crazy Charlie fly, and the others were caught on a green Hal Fly jig. I also managed six other species of fish, including at least twenty 3 to 8 inch largemouth bass, all caught on a pink Crazy Charlie fly. By no means where the shad jumping into the boat, but they are there.

As always, if you need more information or have any questions, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

captain@irl-fishing.com

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 office

407-416-1187 on the water

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, 1/26/2006

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Despite windy conditions, this weeks fishing expeditions have produced respectable results, and a sore back from paddling in the wind. The long range forecast has blustery conditions through the upcoming weekend, so we will just have to live with a bit of breeze if we want to fish.

My first day on the water was scouting trip in the Mosquito Lagoon with my good friend Captain John Kumiski, and we found happy fish on the first flat we checked. The wind was from the east at 10 to 15 knots with overcast skies, so we started on the east shore and drifted the flat blindly throwing DOA Cals, RipTide Flats Chubs, and Stanley Wedge Tail Jigs combined with Woodie’s Rattles and we ended up with 10 slot redfish within the first hour. Next, we fished our way to the north end of Mosquito Lagoon only to catch a dozen or so small sea trout. We ended the day with a blast by watching the launch of the New Horizons space mission to Pluto.

My second adventure was a trip to the No-Motor Zone on Friday the 20th accompanied again by my good friend Captain John Kumiski. The weatherman missed the mark once more, and a northeast 5 to 10 turned into a 15 to 20 with overcast skies, not a nice day for fly fishing from kayaks. In spite of the tough conditions John still managed 6 redfish, with 2 pushing the 20-pound mark, all caught on black clouser minnow. As for me, I spent most of my efforts keeping my kayak from spinning in circles as the wind blow me across the lagoon.

On Monday the 23rd, I returned to the No-Motor Zone, this time in my Old Town canoe joined by Captain Chris Myers. Again, we faced a stiff 15-knot south wind, but through hard work and determination we managed to locate a school of large black drum. Due to the windy conditions, cloudy skies, and dirty water, we decided use spin tackle, and Chris was the first to hook-up throwing a green Exude crab, only to pull hook on the fish after a short skirmish. It was my turn next when a huge black drum picked up a Gulp Crab I had chunked out from my stern position as Chris stood in the front trying to spot the school. I knew this was a big fish by the way it pulled drag, so my thoughts were, even pressure, take your time, and don’t palm the spool, but after about 10 minutes of not turning the fish, impatiens got the best of me, and I began to palm the spool. Well, you know the end to that story. My 20-pound fluorocarbon leader separated from the hook, right where my loop knot was tied. With the wind beginning to howl, we lost the battle to stay with the fish, and we started working our way back. Soon Chris spotted a large redfish less than 10 feet from the boat. He flipped his green Exude Crab out and let it flutter to the bottom, and to our surprise, the big fish ate. Chris ended up landing and releasing a nice 30-pound plus redfish, which would be our only fish for the day.

Today, due to the windy conditions, I decided to head to the St. Johns River and see if the American shad had arriver, and to my delight, I can tell you they have. I launched at Hwy 46 south of Lake Harney, and from there I headed south towards Puzzle Lake. I ended the day catching 7 shad. Five of the shad were caught on a pink Crazy Charlie fly, and the others were caught on a green Hal Fly jig. I also managed six other species of fish, including at least twenty 3 to 8 inch largemouth bass, all caught on a pink Crazy Charlie fly. By no means where the shad jumping into the boat, but they are there.

As always, if you need more information or have any questions, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

captain@irl-fishing.com

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 office

407-416-1187 on the water

866-790-8081 toll free

Great. I can't wait!

Ant roker showing yet?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.