Something for nothing

Steve Randles

I'm looking for royalty free music that will cost me nothing in any way shape or form, but here's the clincher. I am intending to eventually use it commercially. Is there a web source out there for this that I have not found?

I'm just trying to keep costs to a minimum on a project that I'm working on. The music I'm looking for must reflect English countryside and as a guide I would say "Passion for Angling"

Can anyone help?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I'm looking for royalty free music that will cost me nothing in any way shape or form, but here's the clincher. I am intending to eventually use it commercially. Is there a web source out there for this that I have not found?

I'm just trying to keep costs to a minimum on a project that I'm working on. The music I'm looking for must reflect English countryside and as a guide I would say "Passion for Angling"

Can anyone help?

Steve, George Butterworth's 'The Banks of Green Willow' was written in 1913 and is the epitome of British romantic pastoral music (IMO). Certainly it reflects beautifully the English countryside he loved so well, and arguably died fighting to preserve. He was killed in the trenches at the age of 31 in 1916, and his body never found.

He also set A E Houseman's 'A Shropshire Lad' to music; however, most composers around the turn of the last century did!

Having been written so far back, it may be possible to find an old recording out of copyright. I know the BBC often use it on their early Sunday morning Radio 4 programme 'Something Remembered'.

Hope thats of some use.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I think that copyrights lapse 70 years after the death of the composer unless there are other arangements, but not 100% on the legal side :blink:

EG the Amatuer music group I belong to does not have pay royalties on Gilbert and Sullivan operettas now.

Cheers

Scapa.

Try the Performing Right Society http://www.prs.co.uk/ they should be able to help

Edited by Scapanapper

Thanks guys...got this from the prs..

How long does Copyright last in the UK?

Copyright in original musical and literary works generally lasts for a period ending 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author dies.

If a work originates from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) the duration of copyright lasts for as long as the work is protected by copyright in its country of origin, provided that length of time does not exceed the period for which UK copyright law protects works of EEA origin.

I'll look further into the in depth reading first, but it lloks like this could work out okay for me, just got to find the music now..:)

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet