Lower Itchen Fish-in Update

seph

Big thanks to Paul for organising this,Finished the day with two grayling two trout and a couple of chub around the three pound mark ( and a little parr!)found timsbury harder today although it looked great,Lost two trout had one brownie and around eight smallish grayling ,and the wife even caught today! Fabulous weekend with great company. :clap:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I escaped my bunker and got there before lunch and decided to squat in the bottom of Tony U and Sue's swim as they had found a sheltered sun trap!

As I was setting up Tony had his second fish:-

tonyu.jpg

I think he had four for the day?

I remained 'Graylingless' for the day but enjoyed playing with my new toy ('pin) and scurried up & down the bankside to find only one smallish trout who wanted my maggots.

The wind brought me back to the 'U's swim and Sue produced a wonderful cup of tea on the bankside.

(A fair trade for using my car as a windbreak!?)

It is a very nice looking bit of water but was carrying a lot of colour on the day although we had very little rain last week? Probably becomes a crystal clear chalkstream come summer.

Makes you think about an Autumn visit......

Hope all got home safe & sound & the Timsburyer's caught on Sunday

& nice to put a few more faces to handles.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Glad someone got a picture of my Grayling, we took the compact Digital (Olympus Camedia C450) but the cold affected the rechargeable batteries so badly it refused to work, was fine when we got back to the hotel though.

I had four fish on the day including one of around two pounds which is my Grayling PB, and dropped a couple more.

Swim selection was not based on watercraft, but the need to get out of the wind and into a bit of shelter, that said it was pleasant enough when the sun got out.

A few of us made the White Swan afterwards for a chinwag and a pint or two. Why is it that the Kent Anglers are the last to leave the Pub?

It was once again a great day out and to catch a few fish was a bonus and no-one mentioned Perch much. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

It wasn't that cold actually but it was a bit gusty on occasions.Had some good exercise running after net bag and bait lids! We had a lovely sun trap and my face actually caught a bit of the sun - about all I did catch all day! I think I should get some credit for Tony's good catch as I still think I fed his swim all day as I was perched on his left. Perhaps he should sit on my left next time! A good day anyway, nice to meet you all again and good to see more women anglers turned out, shame we did not get a chance to talk more. A hint for anyone next time- if you- like us -forget to bring water for your cup of tea, you dont have to go to Texaco garage just go to the windmill by the main entrance to the park ( you can see it from the bridge) There is cafe there !

Tony,

I got one of you :)

tony.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

B****y slippy things Grayling; I nearly fell on my new Titan II trying to keep hold of that one.

Idiot of the day was the bloke, with his wife, kid and dog taking a walk along the Itchen Valey Park trail, who thought it was clever to drop rocks into Sue's swim.

He did not even stop when politely asked to do so by Sue, mind you he stopped when I informed him he would follow the next rock that went in.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

For those of those who want to go and have a look, the Google Earth Co-ordinates are

50.56'.17.24" N

1.21'21.45" W

River runs from the North, we were mostly fishing the stretch above the motorway bridge.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sorry, I am a bit late replying to the update as I have the computer crash out on me before the fish in and have been waiting for the computer to come back! So here my report on the day.

Well it was nearly/over a year ago since the last time I visited the place and was hoping for a repeat performance despite the pollution on the water in June/July time. Again I decided to revisit my favourite peg as last year.

I did settle for the feeder as I did last year as for my main wish was to catch a 2lb+ grayling on using the loafer float and using my new 17'ft float rod but as the water was seem to be carrying a bit of extra flow on the water, so again reverted back to the feeder rod.

Chuck out a small blockend end feeder with an 1lb 4oz hooklenght with a barbless method feeder hook size 14 with either three or four red maggots. In that time had a little chat with Argyll claiming that I was fishing in his reserved place :loll: Anyway back to the fishing as it was very tough going and did catch a couple of grayling at 1lb 15oz and 2lb 8ozs.

This one at 2lb 8oz

IMG_0271-Itchengraying.jpg

My mate Alec had a cracking 3lb 1oz chub on the feeder.

IMG_0275-Itchenchub.jpg

He was well please after he told me that it was over 25years since the last time caught a chub that size.

I would like to thank Seph for organise the Itchen trip and I can't wait to go back again

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/