At last my "Tree" image

Colin Brett

Sounds like you had a great trip, Colin. :)

Newt & Jan, have you ever travelled the Nachez Trace Parkway which runs from N.T., Mississippi NE on up to Nashville? I took that road as an alternative to the interstates a few years ago on my way north from Vicksburg and was pleasantly surprised. Beautiful scenery, wildlife, and little traffic. One of my favorite memories of the Southland, for sure. I even took a side trip over to Shiloh Battlefield (btw - did you know that Henry Stanley of Stanley & Livingstone fame served in an Arkansas regiment and was captured the second day of the battle by Union troops? I read that in a book yesterday - astonished me. :o For what it's worth)

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Sounds like you had a great trip, Colin. :)

Newt & Jan, have you ever traveled the Natchez Trace Parkway which runs from N.T., Mississippi NE on up to Nashville?

(btw - did you know that Henry Stanley of Stanley & Livingstone fame served in an Arkansas regiment and was captured the second day of the battle by Union troops?

I hitchhiked parts of the Trace when I was in school at Mississippi State University one summer - long, long ago. I was way too broke to afford a car and even a bus fare was out of reach so I rode my thumb if I needed to go places. It is beautiful country and I hope to show it to Jan. Our plan is to move to Mississippi when I retire.

I did not know about Stanley's service and I'm an old Arkansas boy. Interesting indeed.

Colin - if you have a chance, the area around Memphis has some really great fishing. If you are there in spring, there are lots of 'borrow pits' where dirt was removed to build the levies that hold the Mississippi river from flooding the farmland and the trees will have a good population of catalpa worms (moth larvae). Several species of fish stay under the trees waiting on an easy meal and you basically have a 2-3 week long feeding frenzy where the larger specimens have crowded out all the tiddlers. Competition for falling worms is fierce and they will savagely attack whatever you toss in for them. Some fun. Ho ho.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Colin - if you have a chance, the area around Memphis has some really great fishing. If you are there in spring, there are lots of 'borrow pits' where dirt was removed to build the levies that hold the Mississippi river from flooding the farmland and the trees will have a good population of catalpa worms (moth larvae). Several species of fish stay under the trees waiting on an easy meal and you basically have a 2-3 week long feeding frenzy where the larger specimens have crowded out all the tiddlers. Competition for falling worms is fierce and they will savagely attack whatever you toss in for them. Some fun. Ho ho.

Newt,

Thanks for the tip, but I doubt I'll be ging back to Memphis. There are so many other places to visit in the USA and Canada and Australia and New Zealand and India and come to think of it The British Isles. Memphis was, I think, a one off spur of the moment decision. Mind you it was worth it.

Colin