75 members have voted

1. 1. What theory best describes your beliefs on the origins of life on earth

• Creationism
    • Intelligent Design
    • Evolution
    • Other
    • Don't know

why not?

My point is the big bang theory is a theory and therefore could be very wrong or slightly wrong we do not know and we should always keep our minds open to new ideas.

:blink:

According to the big bang theory nothing existed before the big bang. Which part of this simple hypothesis don't you understand? Are you sure you are a scientist?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Dawkins pointed out, the problem with using the concept of God to answer questions like "why does the universe exist" is that they merely replace one question with another; in this case "why does God exist".

Time is an abstract construct - it consists of consecutive increments of 'now'.

It's an invented convention - thus before it was invented there was , well......... nothing.

If the universe was 'created' or 'invented', before it there was ..... something, we know not what, that sure wasn't the universe. Time, logically, started with the creation of the universe.

So if time started with the creation of the universe, why is it incorrect to ask what happened before? If time is a measure of the increments of now from point zero "creation" then all I am asking is what happend at

-1 ,

I do not know the answer and do not even pretend to understand 1% of anything I just wonder. :2:

Edited by doshkadog

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

So if time started with the creation of the universe, why is it incorrect to ask what happened before? If time is a measure of the increments of now from point zero "creation" then all I am asking is what happend at

-1 ,

I do not know the answer and do not even pretend to understand 1% of anything I just wonder. :2:

According to the Big Bang Theory Big Bang the moment in time that you call '-1' CANNOT exist. Its like asking how cold it is below absolute zero.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

According to the Big Bang Theory Big Bang the moment in time that you call '-1' CANNOT exist. Its like asking how cold it is below absolute zero.

Thats it according to the big bang theory. If it were the big bang fact we could not question it

Edited by doshkadog

By the way I believe in God

I also believe in evolution

I also believe the universe was created in a somewhat more than small bang.

and I have no proof or definitive answers.

There is no 'before the big bang'.

Both time and space were created at the time of the 'big bang', so it is nonsense to talk of 'a time before the big bang', or something existing before the big bang to create it.

In every culture and time there are creation myths, Big Bang is just another along that line.

Just as in Genesis and other stories the Big Bang theory needs more than a dash of belief to come to terms with.

Where as the Great Celestial Carp is absolute fact and anyway she could whip the A**e of that puny Chub :yeah::yeah:

In every culture and time there are creation myths, Big Bang is just another along that line.

Just as in Genesis and other stories the Big Bang theory needs more than a dash of belief to come to terms with.

Where as the Great Celestial Carp is absolute fact and anyway she could whip the A**e of that puny Chub :yeah::yeah:

here here :thumbs:

Thats it according to the big bang theory. If it were the big bang fact we could not question it

C'est assez, je se rendent!

But in the absence of anything more tangible than a mathematical excercise, Big Bang works for me.

If you understand Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief history of Time', I am open to other persuasion. I, for one, tried to read it and got lost less than half way through it. This sends me back to Big Bang, even if someone as notable as Fred Hoyle was a little disparaging about it.

This link was something I found a while back, and being of a non-scientific character, I found it useful:

http://www.crystalinks.com/bigbang.html

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine