Top Posters In This Topic

better get louise to restock the clash them m8 :yeah::yeah:

Andrew :o:o:o;):drunk:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Where would you suggest the best place in the world to try for a marlin,with a backup of decent mixed fishing for other species?

The best place we found was Cabo San Lucas in western Mexico (Baja California)

Ten striped marlin in three days fishing (2,2,6)

There is also good inshore fishing from pangas for roosterfish, yellowtail, snappers etc.

Costa Rica west coast (Golfito) also good, but more sailfish than marlin (27 Sailfish and one blue marlin in three days fishing) Superb inshore for snapper and trevally

Hawai - VERY expensive - avoid

Madeira - close, and a chance of a really BIG blue marlin - but they are scarce (one marlin in a total of six days fishing over two years)

Hope that helps

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The best place we found was Cabo San Lucas in western Mexico (Baja California)

Ten striped marlin in three days fishing (2,2,6)

There is also good inshore fishing from pangas for roosterfish, yellowtail, snappers etc.

Costa Rica west coast (Golfito) also good, but more sailfish than marlin (27 Sailfish and one blue marlin in three days fishing) Superb inshore for snapper and trevally

Hawai - VERY expensive - avoid

Madeira - close, and a chance of a really BIG blue marlin - but they are scarce (one marlin in a total of six days fishing over two years)

Hope that helps

Thanks for that input Dave,I just knew you would come back with some excellent advice . Mexico is looking favourite then :D Will probably come back to you closer to the time Dave for a few more details if thats ok :D

Think I can hear the fat lady singing just over the horizon :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

We went to Baja in April - not sure how long the best season lasts.

RNLI Governor

Would agree with most of Dave's views and would add that Hawaii is done to death even if you could afford it. Fantastic place for a holiday and not necessarily expensive for a small game boat. Too many boats on Oahu and not enough takers gives you a chance to haggle. But the fishing is generally hard.

The place to put on your wish list is Kenya, either around Turtle Bay or down at the southern end at the Pemba Channel club. Fishing is fantastic and if you check the seasons then you'll find a crossover period when the sailfish are still around and the black marlin are coming in. Pemba Channel has very good striper action and all year round there will be schoolie bluefins, wahoo, barracuda, kingfish and other pelagics to keep you busy. I can really recommend the Turtle Bay area just south of Malindi, either staying at the Turtle Bay Beach Hotel (all inclusive, drink yourself into a free stupor between fishing and the best sunday roast I've ever had in a hotel) or if you're feeling flush..Hemingways next door. Malindi has an italian contingent so ice cream parlours and pizza restaurants are everywhere.

Having fished the Baha on three occasions between Ensenada and Cabo, Mexico is an acquired taste. Certainly Cabo is the best bet for a striped marlin or even a mako but I never really enjoyed the bits in between. Got ripped off by boat skippers, shop owners and had some less than fresh food that caused stomach upsets. There's not a great deal of love lost between the locals and the southern californian fishermen and surfers that come down en masse and it affects anyone who speaks english to some extent. You can have a good holiday if you stay at the little places around the Sea of Cortez and whilst the fishing is good, the facilities like boats and boatmen are not always there. some of those places are great for a day only and then you start wishing that you were somewhere else.

If you want something exotic then you cant beat Kenya for value. Great beaches, great food, friendly people who speak english and when you get bored (never) there's alway a trip inland for a short safari.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I got made redundant last Friday.

The jobcentre chap told me they will give me £56 a week for 6 months provided I am willing to travel 90mins each way and work for the NMW!

Think I'll dig another lake this year!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Mexico is an acquired taste.

:lol::lol: Know what you mean Gerry, but apart from an attempted mugging in Costa Rica we have always enjoyed Latin America. (been to seven countries) In our experience the more expensive the hotel, the higher the risk of food poisoning. :yucky:

Where possible we hire a self-catering flat, and eat out at middle-range restaurants.

We have considered going to Malindi sometime soon, and your comments reinforce what we have heard. There is also the possibility of night fishing for broadbill I understand. Sounds tasty. :sun:

RNLI Governor

:lol::lol: Know what you mean Gerry, but apart from an attempted mugging in Costa Rica we have always enjoyed Latin America. (been to seven countries) In our experience the more expensive the hotel, the higher the risk of food poisoning. :yucky:

Where possible we hire a self-catering flat, and eat out at middle-range restaurants.

We have considered going to Malindi sometime soon, and your comments reinforce what we have heard. There is also the possibility of night fishing for broadbill I understand. Sounds tasty. :sun:

The fishing for broadbill is off the North Kenya banks, a fair old run offshore and necessitates an overnighter. Its either drifting squid baits with light sticks or flyfishing. Malindi is only worth spending time in for a drink at the Kenya Big Game Fishing Club or a day shopping and whichever skipper you use, he'll make sure that you're made most welcome at the club. The rest of Malindi outside of a few hotel compounds is dirt poor and you'll be brushing off street beggars and amateur 'guides' all day long. Turtle Bay at Watamu is 14 miles south, has even better boats and is a really nice place to spend a holiday. Its also about 3 hours drive up to the game park at East Tsavo. The only maneater left there tho' is a girl called Linda who runs the safari lodge. B)

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Ah So Turtle Bay, not Malindi - must look at it in more detail

RNLI Governor