Wild life pictures.

Guest Ferret1959

Finepix,

Those photo's are brilliant,your camera sure does handle a great macro, best i have seen for a long time.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Finepix
Wow, Julia, those are stunning! They're in the same class as Steve's landscapes.

How about both of you doing a piece on how to take such pictures?

Please don't make me do that!! I'm cr*p at explaining these things.

Found this piece of great advice at http://www.betterphoto.com/blogs/jim/archi...ture_for_m.html

I wanted to pass along some thoughts about making super macro photos, particularly regarding aperture.

Aperture becomes extremely important when doing macro photography. The closer you get to a subject, the shallower becomes your depth of field. When you're shooting from a distance of an inch or a centimeter, the slightest change in f numbers results in a completely different look to your photo.

Experiment with f numbers when shooting macro subjects. I usually start with f/8 or f/11 and then go higher or lower as needed (all of my spider images above were taken with the Fuji Finepix on F8 or F9). How do you determine was aperture is needed? By using a feature called the Depth of Field Preview button. Not all cameras have this feature, but if your camera does, you're way ahead of the game. Your photographs will definitely benefit from the habitual use of your Depth of Field Preview button.

This feature allows you to get an approximation of what will remain in focus when you take the picture. Without it, what you see through the viewfinder is what you would get when shooting with the lowest f number – "wide open" as they call it. When you press the Depth of Field Preview button, the scene in the viewfinder will darken. How much it darkens depends on how high of an f number you're using. F/22 will cause the viewfinder to get very dark. However if you can see the scene even dimly, you'll notice that the foreground and background elements are sharper.

Use this button when doing macro work and you'll see firsthand how much your choice of aperture affects the look of your macro scene.

Hope this helps .......... :)

You also need patience and a steady hand, but then you lot should be used to that being 'fisher men' and all that :D

Julia

Finepix,

Those photo's are brilliant,your camera sure does handle a great macro, best i have seen for a long time.

:thumbs:

Thank you. They were all taken with the Fuji Finepix and a cheap macro 'snap on' lens (£35).

Macro photography is my favourite, so I'm finding this time of year really difficult ...........

:thumbs: Those are fantastic photographs. It's a funny place this world where you have Kola's living locally and I have squirrels but think nothing on seeing them.

This is the thing I find best about the internet, is the difference between one country to another can be clearly seen, via photographs.

For example, I have been to Australia and I know how beautifull the bird life is there, for instance the cookaburras and cockatiels, cockatiels fly round in flocks and are considered pests there because they do so much damage (a friend of mine in Sydney had his TV aerial ripped of his roof the other week by these beasts). Yet these birds are as common there as the Magpie and Crow are to us in the UK. With so much space in Oz, most things are spread out, wider and bigger, so to the Aussies streets like "Coronation Street" would prob be of interest to them. I'm sure there are similar swaps of interest with all of the world's countries.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Ferret, I love the Mallard photo, the two males really do look like a mirror image.

TB, the Koala photos are fabulous, so they don't just live in zoos as I previously thought then.

Finepix, some excellent, but slightly gruesome, macro shots there. Since getting my DSLR & flogging my old prosumer camera (HP945) I've lost the ability to shoot macro shots until i buy a new macro lens, which is something I'm definitely on the look out for before spring.

Newt, thanks for the Squirrel recipes, but how could you. :yucky: Take a look at this cute little guy, taken a couple of months ago with my HP945.

squirrel_crop1Large.jpg

Don't know why but the ADDREPLY function is not working for me, is anyone else having the same problem?

Anyway, this is now my FAVOURITE thread, those macro shots made me shiver when I looked at them. Don't tell me Julia that you actually get that close to them, I assumed you just zoomed in. Don't you ever worry about those things jumping on you?? Or don't you have jumping spiders over there?? Australia is notorious for things that jump and attack. Anyone see "Arachnophobia"? they were New Zealand spiders. Surely you have huntsmen and wolf spiders over there?! One thing I had not considered with my dreams of becoming a macro photographer, is that altho I love the macabre look of spiders, I do have a fear of them and doubt I could bring myself to get that close, esp if it is a spider that is protecting it's young or it's meal. They are absolutely splendid pics Julia, think the second one is my favourite.

Rabsters squirrel, adorable, Charlies flys, aren't they cute, and what are those furry things called, meerkats?! from The Lion King, so inquisitive.

It's a terrible shame that these sorts of photos would be very difficult to capture in a two week window for the Photo comps.

You guys ALL rock!

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Mine aren't as technically good as most, but I enjoy them :)

A thieving goose > thief.jpg

A stupid animal (and an orangutan) > dogutan.jpg

A zoo penguin > penguin.jpg

A giraffe > giraffe.jpg

My daughter totally not bothered by a wolf > wolf.jpg

Can I blag my way in with a cute girl on a plastic giraffe? :) > giraffe2.jpg

Like I say, not particularly good or 'back garden', but a few that make me smile :) That's what it's about for me these days. One day, I'd love to take photography more seriously.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Love the jackass penguin Elton. First picture of one I've ever seen and I thought at first you'd mis-identified the thing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Love the jackass penguin Elton. First picture of one I've ever seen and I thought at first you'd mis-identified the thing.

Nope, according to my little girl, it's definitely a 'gwengwen' :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest Ferret1959
Nope, according to my little girl, it's definitely a 'gwengwen' :D

How can you get away with posting images that size, I just get a warning that the images exceeds the limits???:D