OpenRAW survey

Steve Randles

CJ, as I understand it a jpg file has been "compressed" , i.e. some of the pixels have been removed to save space.

Each time you access that file and work on it the jpg process kicks in and removes a few more bits....gradually the pic loses "quality"

TIFF is a "non lossy" file, so no loss of pixels and quality, no problem with modern powerful PC's...no need to "save space" or worry about "slowing down the PC"

Ihave several settings on my Nikon..

RAW..not compressed

TIFF not compressed

JPEG Extra 1.2 compression

JPEG fINE 1.4 Compression

JPEG Normal 1.8 compression

JPEG Basic 1.16 compression.

Basically this means that if you go for the max no of pics on your mem card the your camera will pick the highest compression to "save space", and if you go for the lowest, then the camera will save your pics at the highest quality setting with the lowest compression ratio.

I would add another point here, PC's do not do justice to digi pics, try sending your best pics to somewhere like http://www.photobox.co.uk/static/services.html and you will see your pics in all their glory.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks Poledark, so far so good. I see what you are saying, I have my Nikon set on the lagest JPG file per pic setting, one presumes thats the least compressed.

So if TIFF is that good, where does RAW fit into the picture :g: sorry for the pun. I'm seing it as a second best to RAW, or is an alternative?

JPG, any one know as a percentage, how much the degrade is per 'save'.

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it. Cos' if the degrade is 0.1% per save who cares?? bit if its 5%, it needs looking at very carfully :headhurt:

I must say that for what we are looking at here, and because, some will not have the luxury of better formats?, perhaps we should all stick to JPG as a 'standard' working format :mellow: thate at least in the competition. :unsure:

:ph34r: