Coastal and Marine National Parks for Scotland

Barry Scholes

Report from the meeting in Glasgow with SNH, Sport Scotland, SACN/SOS, and the SFSA.

Representatives from each of the above organisations got together to discuss how RSA (recreational sea angling) can be best represented in relation to the proposed Coastal and Marine National Parks for Scotland.

Ian Burrett and Barry Scholes explained why we believe RSA needs to have a more direct in-put to the consultations, and to the advisory groups who will report back to the Scottish Executive, before the critical decisions are made.

RSA in Scotland will be affected by the decisions taken on the placement, structure, and management of Marine Parks. It is therefore in the interests of all sea anglers to have a say on future developments, to help protect, preserve, and enhance our sport for the benefit of all.

SNH representative Peter Rawcliffe listened intently as did Campbell Gerrard from Sport Scotland, they were surprised to learn that the objectives of the Scottish Federation and the conservation groups closely matched the base ideas SNH had for the parks.

We took the opportunity to advise SNH and Sport Scotland of several examples of the value sea angling across Scotland and how that could be impacted or enhanced by a Marine National Park.

We discussed the role that Sea Anglers could have in the Marine Parks, with possible feedback routes to the state of the park, quality of the environment, etc. Effectively being the wardens for the coastline and the seas beyond.

By the end of the meeting we had the assurance from SNH and Sport Scotland that they would take every opportunity to consult with the SFSA and SACN.

I would like to thank SNH and Sport Scotland for taking the time to meet with us, it is important that RSA has representation at this stage, as it will help us to gain further representation within other Scottish Executive agencies such as SIFAG.

Regards

Barry

This was another opportunity to spread the RSA gospel and was well recieved by the SNH and Sport-Scotland.

Hopefully when the SNH make their report to the Scottish exec, it will remind the fisheries minister of the importance of RSA to the Scottish economy, and what can be done with the right political will.

We both came away thinking, If only we had been involved a few years earlier then we would have been at the start of the marine park plans and the SIFAG talks. But better late than never and the fight will go on. We keep just missing the boat but at least we have a ticket for the next one. Lol.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

well done Barry :clap::clap: an well done that man mister burret good to see your still at it me oll sea dog :thumbs: not be long till were up at LA lad :D:D

Hi Guy

Your right mate. It will soon pass :clap2:

I am starting my maintenance on Monday. Should take about a month to get the boats ready as we have the big MCA survey this year.

Am up at Hamilton on Saturday night, If you fancy a pint. Jim Lyndsey will be joining us

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk