cleaning print-head HP Deskjet 1000

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

from Hp forums:

1. Open the HP product software:
  2. Windows XP: Click Start ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
  3. Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
  4. NOTE:You can also open the HP product software from your computer desktop: double-click the icon for your HP product ( ). The product software opens.
  5. In the product software, double-click Printer Actions ( ).
  6. Double-click Maintenance Tasks ( ). The HP Toolbox opens.
  7. Click the Device Services tab.
  8. Click Clean Ink Cartridges , and then follow the on-screen instructions to clean the cartridges.
  9. After running the tool, click Print to print a test page. If the print quality is still unacceptable, follow the on-screen instructions to run a Second-level clean .
  10. If you wish to align the printer cartridges, it's also the same. Cartridge alignment is vital as this will calibrate newly installed inks to produce high-quality output everytime.
  11. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Align Ink Cartridges . The product aligns the cartridges, and then prints an alignment page.

Thanks both of you, particularly Kirisute for detailed instructions. I found the right bit and cleaned the cartridges up to level 3, the most thorough, and also aligned the print cartridges. No good, but it gave me an idea. I changed the colour on a page from black to dark blue and it printed perfectly well. I guess I shoudl try changing the black ink cartridge? A waste of a few pounds, but probably necessary?

john clarke

most hp carts have the print head built into the cartridge. they can be manually cleaned with some alcohol and soft wipe.

just wipe along the line of the head with the alcohol soaked cloth/ tissue. try to avoid going across the head.

if that doesn't work then you can also sit the head unto in a small amount of alcohol for a couple of hours and then try.

Thanks both of you, particularly Kirisute for detailed instructions. I found the right bit and cleaned the cartridges up to level 3, the most thorough, and also aligned the print cartridges. No good, but it gave me an idea. I changed the colour on a page from black to dark blue and it printed perfectly well. I guess I shoudl try changing the black ink cartridge? A waste of a few pounds, but probably necessary?

With my c5180 it rarely uses the black cart unless i tick "use black cart only" generally it would use the colour carts to do it.

My carts are resettable ones which i refill and see through to see the ink ,i am surprised if your black cart is empty you have had no warnings it is from the printer ,in my series letting a cart run dry can effect the sump in the print heads (which are seperate)and will never work again with several cleans nor fresh carts

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks both of you. I tried all suggestions, but none worked except the more general point that the print-heads are usually incorporated in the cartridges nowadays. I changed the cartridge and that solved it. Hooray!

J

john clarke

Another thing that crops up on many printers is the contacts get grubby ,a careful clean of the cartridge contacts and the machines spring contacts with a bit of propanol on a cotton bud fixes that .

These all in ones are a great step forward from the old dot matrix machines but they still have their uses .

My first inkjet a was an agfa ,it had a seperate tank that cleaned the heads after each use ,a new one was silly money but the silly company had a COSH sheet which listed distilled water and a very small unknown chemical ( to weak to have to list) i guessed it was an acid to provide an electrical path from the probes to tell the machine when it was empty ,a drip of white vinegar did the trick and saved me about 60 quid ,they were expensive to run back then!

They didnt have memory to records former carts or their levels once a colour disappeared you changed it so topping up was a breeze ,now printers remember (in the case of mine it remembers 3 cart numbers) so hard to refill but my resetable ones seem to fool it,just 2 key presses to reassure it and it works fine

Edited by chesters1