Airflo MT 9'6" 7/8 Broken tip

Emmasdad

Hi Guys,

I have just acquired a Airflo MT 9'6" 7/8 fly rod, I used it for the first time today and it snapped near the rod tip .

Anyone know procedure for getting a replacement from Airflo?

Anyone had a similar experience with these rods?, I don't want to pay for a replacement and find it does the same thing again.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Bought it on EBay so i can't exactly go back to the shop.

I'm also going to check under microscope at work to see if it was an attempted repair.

It lasted about 1/2 an hour and i didn't do anything that should have made it break.

On the up side, i went home and got my spare rod, and I caught 2 nice rainbows, Broom fisheries, sinking sline with orange hares ear.

Steve.

Emmasdad,

your contract is with the person, shop etc where you bought the rod.

That is not to say don't have a word with Airflo, you might get somebody in a good mood who might let you have a replacement.

Just to add on the merits of replacement parts for rods. In general terms, if you buy a rod and a part is broken by missuse, you can expect to pay a third (if its 3 piece) and half with a 2 piece. If you bought on a special offer and it say cost £50 (2piece) you would think it would cost £25 to replace the section. WRONG, it will probably cost half the RRP cost, just to let you know.

Lots of tackle shops will try and fob you off with," I'll have to contact the manufacturers". If they have a good relationship with the dealers they should be able make a judgement themselves wether to change the item or not.

here's airflos details, give em a ring, don't mention ebay, say you bought the rod new, you never know you might get lucky :)

BVG Airflo Group PLC,

Units 5 & 6,

Industrial Estate,

Brecon, Powys,

LD3 8LA.

Telephone Number +44(0) 1874 612612

Fax Number: +44(0) 1874 622994

info@BVG-Airflo.co.uk

Well, phoned Airflo/fishtec up, spoke to a really helpful guy (for a Monday morning), and basically if I send a cheque for £20 (including P&P), they will send a replacement.

I thought this was reasonable, I will give it a go, but if it breaks again, I'll get a new rod.

Thanks for your comments.

Steve.

sounds like a result to me :)

The very same happened to me and I was warned it would happen the minute I turned up at my local fishery. I took it back to the shop as I only had it a week but I changed my rod. I had no confidence in the manufacture after I had heard so many had broken.

Hi carmanfisher,

I bought this of ebay and it was advertised as used only once, it did strike me as odd that someone would buy a rod and only use it once, on a cynical day I would say, maybe he had heard the same as you.

Anyway, I have sent for the replacement now, and when i use it I will be extra careful, if it still breaks then I will definitely complain, let the people on here know, and not spend any more money on it.

Its a shame I bought this, as the one I was really after went on ebay for £51 +P&P a week later, this was a Sharpes "Gordon" Rod, which I have seen in the shop and heard/read good reports on.

I had comtemplated getting the Airflo rod whole again and selling it back on Ebay, but I would have to forego some of my ethics to do this.

Steve.

Hi carmanfisher,

I bought this of ebay and it was advertised as used only once, it did strike me as odd that someone would buy a rod and only use it once, on a cynical day I would say, maybe he had heard the same as you.

Anyway, I have sent for the replacement now, and when i use it I will be extra careful, if it still breaks then I will definitely complain, let the people on here know, and not spend any more money on it.

Its a shame I bought this, as the one I was really after went on ebay for £51 +P&P a week later, this was a Sharpes "Gordon" Rod, which I have seen in the shop and heard/read good reports on.

I had comtemplated getting the Airflo rod whole again and selling it back on Ebay, but I would have to forego some of my ethics to do this.

Steve.

Great minds etc. I actually ended up buying the Sharpes Gordon 10ft #7 when I returned my broken Airflo and although it was more expensive I'm very glad I did. It is a wonderful rod.

Don't just send them the money. To get a correct fit they will need the broken section to ensure they get the correct taper.

Thanks MJB, I have sent of the broken bits as requested by the guy at Airflo.

Carmanfisher, I have seen the 10' on ebay going for about £100, a 9' for about £50., I take it you have used the rod a few times and had no issues?.

I don't want to spend more than £75 or so for a rod (the wifes watching the money

:) ), I know the 9'6 model goes for £134 in the shops, just abit steep for me.

By the way if anyone else has any recomendations for types of rods, I'm all ears.

I'm looking for a 9'6 7/8 line weight, capable of distance, as i will be fishing resevoirs for Rainbow, and would like to get out as far as possible.

Thanks

Steve