i miss coarse fishing

phil dean

thanks Paul, is that the paul who used to be in the north east forum? I fished there a couple of years ago when I was in 4 in 1 but the fishing was great on about 3 occasions, and hard work on the rest, so I gave up as it's a good 20 minutes to get there at 60mph, the petrol cost was hard to justify.

Where are these great waters to the west (not the ribble alan), the only one I know of is (though you have to bear in mind most folks I know who fish ONLY game fish, indeed, many ONLY salmon fish) talkin tarn which is perch and pike?

yorkio, have you fished the leazes/4 in1 water at corbridge, I had a walk around it last night, there were plenty of tench bubbles and a pair of ghosties cruising.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi andy, great to hear from you, once you've posted about 10 (i think) items, you'll be able to PM.

Have you joined the haltwhistle club? If so you should have me contact details i'd love to find out more.

[/quote

OI OI,

My club big waters angling club have a strech of river in haltwhistle, the one at whitly bay is called marden quarry wich is our water as well but is also a day ticket water, also we have a water ( 3 lakes ) at wetheral nr carslile whitch you can pay yearly for just them lakes.

check us out BIG WATERS ANGLING CLUB.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

yorkio, have you fished the leazes/4 in1 water at corbridge, I had a walk around it last night, there were plenty of tench bubbles and a pair of ghosties cruising.

Thornborough - I was there just last weekend. A nice little pond with some decent tench and a handful of hefty carp, as you saw. (They gave me a bit of a start suddenly looming up by my feet when I first went there!) There are also loads of little perch in there, which can drive you mad when they move into your swim. Every now and then, you speak to someone who reckons they've heard about the odd crucian coming out but I've never seen any evidence of them. It's really nice in the evenings when the traffic eases up on the A69 - although you can't see the road, or even any evidence of it, you can hear it, which is a bit distracting. That aside though, it's very peaceful. I've hardly ever seen anyone else there - just one other angler from time to time and that's about it. It would benefit from a few more trees round there though - it can get a bit windy at times.

thanks Paul, is that the paul who used to be in the north east forum? I fished there a couple of years ago when I was in 4 in 1 but the fishing was great on about 3 occasions, and hard work on the rest, so I gave up as it's a good 20 minutes to get there at 60mph, the petrol cost was hard to justify.

Where are these great waters to the west (not the ribble alan), the only one I know of is (though you have to bear in mind most folks I know who fish ONLY game fish, indeed, many ONLY salmon fish) talkin tarn which is perch and pike?

Phil

I joined Haltwhistle club more or less as soon as I moved here, had loads of small trout and few about 10/11", pity there arn't a few more of the 10/11 inchers, but have had a couple of salmon so am feeling quite pleased with myself.

Before moving to Haltwhistle I lived about 5 mins walk from Whittle Dean, but found that hard going, I did fish Thornbrough quite a bit and had some good mixed tench and perch catches with the odd gudgeon, hooked a few carp but never got one in.

With regard to fisheries Crofton is a good mixed fishery, its the other side of Carlisle, halfway between Thursby and Wigton and is about 40 mins drive, however there are some other fisheries a bit closer.

Carlton fisheries consists of 3/4 ponds and has Roach, Bream, Tench, Perch & Carp and is about 5 South West of Junction 42 on the M6, Lonsdale Fisheries is close by and is a similar type of fishery. Just down the road is high stands, its in the middle of a forrest and is controlled by Big Waters AC, the ponds (3 of em) have Perch Roach Tench and Chub, the one with the Chub in used hold massive ones. There are a couple of ponds the other side of Brampton just off the A69 that have Perch Tench and the odd Carp but I am not sure how you get to fish them these days. All these waters are probably no more then 30mins drive away once you know where they are.

Theres other still waters up at Longtown and Big Waters have a stretch of the River Lyne that used to hold some massive Chub and quite a few dace, more of a specimen hunters river, but in the winter you used to be able to get some good catches when the fish shoaled up.

There's quite a few other other waters a little further and the tackle shops in Carlisle can give the most up todate advice on tickets etc. I hope the above helps.

I'm afraid I don't have your details though but I think I know someone who does.

Interesting. Is that the Fed stretch at Ovingham you're talking about? And can you tell us any more about this coarse fishery at Hexham?

You're right it is the fed stretch, I think you can get a coarse fish only season ticket for £27, you get quite a stretch of fishing from upstream of Ovington on the north bank almost all the way down to Wylam and the south bank from Ovingham down to about half a mile up stream of Wylam bridge. Theres loads of dace and small chub with quite a few roach, perch and gudgeon, there's quite a few decent chub around now.

As for the place in Hexham they started work on the old wydon burn reservoir around the end of 2004 as part of a flood prevention scheme, I understand their intention is to make it a mixed silver fishery.

The lad in the tackle shop in Hexham will have the latest info on the water, but I think it will need a little time to settle in once they stock it and on one of the banks you might feel as though you are fishing from someone's back garden.

You're right it is the fed stretch, I think you can get a coarse fish only season ticket for £27, you get quite a stretch of fishing from upstream of Ovington on the north bank almost all the way down to Wylam and the south bank from Ovingham down to about half a mile up stream of Wylam bridge. Theres loads of dace and small chub with quite a few roach, perch and gudgeon, there's quite a few decent chub around now.

Thanks for that - the Fed books do seem like good value. When I was a Big Waters member, I used to see them on the other side of the river at Mickley but at the time I didn't know whose water it was over there. That Hexham place sounds a bit grim though. Well, maybe not so much grim as not my cup of tea perhaps - I much prefer the crumbly old places in the middle of nowhere, even if there's nothing in them!

And I didn't even know there was a fishing shop in Hexham…

where the heck is Big Waters stretch in Haltwhislte???????

re the trout, get up to the irthing, it's stunning and the trout re great.

glad to hear about the salmon, I don't put the time in, 3 early season sea trout have my lot so far.

someone was reporting that some more triploids have got in to the south tyne, which makes for a bit of fun.

You can tell I don't have much time, I've never had a chance to go to the shop in hexham for 3 years as it's closed when I pass, i actually forgot it was there. The other waters west sound interesting, but my ideas wont come to fruision due to lack of time....ah well

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

How about a spot of 15lb+ gravel pit bream fishing thats not that far away. You might even raise an eyebrow from our southern friends.

That sounds like the west pond at Longtown run by Chris Bowman, if so I used to fish it years ago and it had some very big carp, chub and perch, there were a few bream around then but you hardly ever saw them. There is another water close by just off the A7 to Langholm, I think there are 3 separate lakes now, one is trout and one of the others I think is coarse fishing, again years ago it used to have some very big chub and bream and some carp.