Refurbishing Rods

tincatinca

A little bit more done with the rod support head wheels made and fitted along with a couple of additional stands. The bearings did not arrive by post so went to a bearing supplier in a nearby town to obtain some although they were expensive compared with what you can get them for off the net. As it transpired it was a very good move, as when talking to the guy about what I was doing, he gave me a motor out of a box which had been hanging around in the shop for a long time but which had already been pad for prior to the company who had originally ordered them ceasing to trade. It is a 6 volt motor with a speed of 18 rpm. I will make up a 6volt battery pack to test it and if it works and if it does will make an adjustable stand and mount for it along with a simple 3 jaw chuck.

post-8110-0-45553300-1404642851_thumb.jpg

post-8110-0-15442600-1404642879_thumb.jpg

post-8110-0-66363900-1404642900_thumb.jpg

Tinca, if you are thinking of a chuck, you might find this useful.

P1020341_zpsf1f8489d.jpg

I have made about 15 wrappers for different people (mostly sea anglers) and they all find the chuck very useful and extremely stable handling heavy rods. Main bearing from "Bearing Boys"..about £14, epoxy into 3/4 high density MDF. Bore of chuck is 1 5/8" ID Very handy to slacken off by using any one of the 3 nylon screws.

The intermediate rollers (3 available) use Lego wheels :)

I started off using a similar idea as yours for the chassis but very soon ended up using 6" contiboard as the main frame.

12Volt, variable speed, some by foot pedal but most by simple switch reducing voltage, all from Ebay :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks for that Den, looks very good and stable. Most of the material I used is spare stuff I had lying around in the shed from other projects butI think I know what you mean about about using MDF as it would have make the job a lot easier but as I have loads of different bits of Acetal and Ali extrusion I decided to use what was readily available although a considerable time was spent on the miller making everything fit and at the same time be adjustable. I thought about doing something similar to what you have done with the chuck but making it from Acetal bar instead of Ali. First thing though is to see if the motor works before I get round to making anything else. I am really looking forward to starting and have just stripped down a pair of old Maddocks KM2 rods ready for re building. Your belt driven bearing mounted chuck is probably the best way to go for stability and minimal vibration but in the first instance I will look if it is possible to mount the chuck directly to the motor shaft as there is approx 3/4" of shaft available to use. When I made the tyres to fit on the roller bearings in the heads, I wanted them to be removeable but at the same time firmly held in place so after a bit of head scratching I found that a solution was to leave a small clearance between the bore of the wheels and o/d of the bearings then wrap one turn of pvc insulation tape around the bearing o/d and press fit the wheels onto the bearings in the miller vice then trim of the tape with a stanley knife blade. Worked well

Doesn't look to obvious, but the rod can pass right through the chuck, handy for 7 foot rod sections. You have to make sure you put the rings on in the right order though :).

Not wishing to sound critical, but the first one I made was to in response to a request to "do something with this if you can?" The guy had bought one made from similar stuff to what you have used. Very poorly made, kept coming apart, and generally a waste of money! Cost him well over a hundred quid as well!

I did use Acetal bar for most of the later versions, like you, I tend to "use what I have got" :)

Den Edit, the belt is one sold for vacuum cleaners.

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Being able to pass the blank through the chuck would be extremely beneficial and at some time I may go down that route but at the moment I think that I will be able to get around that by making an extra external roller support if I find that I need extra length. The Ali extrusion I used for the base is quite substantial with a 1/8" wall thickness with the collars, columns and heads all machined to be spigot mounted and bolted through.. The sliding support plates have all been milled full length with 10mm deep x 3.6mm wide slots so there is little chance that anything will come apart. One thing I did find though is that there can be considerable differences in diametral tolerances between different pieces of Acetal bar.

Great stuff! Another plug for Guides and Blanks from me as well and yes avoid Fish Hawk as well! Ive still got a life times supply of finer grade threads left from my rod building days (don't do many now just repairs/modifications) But I am low on the rthicker grades I prefer (both for speed and my failing eyesight) for carp and sea rods. You can ocaissionally pick it up on Ebay but I suppose I really should spend some time sourcing an alterrnative

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Being able to pass the blank through the chuck would be extremely beneficial and at some time I may go down that route but at the moment I think that I will be able to get around that by making an extra external roller support if I find that I need extra length. The Ali extrusion I used for the base is quite substantial with a 1/8" wall thickness with the collars, columns and heads all machined to be spigot mounted and bolted through.. The sliding support plates have all been milled full length with 10mm deep x 3.6mm wide slots so there is little chance that anything will come apart. One thing I did find though is that there can be considerable differences in diametral tolerances between different pieces of Acetal bar.

Didn't realise that was ally you had used :) looked like that white plastic stuff.

Den

Ali for the frame base and Acetal for everything else apart from the bearings and a couple of 10mm bolts to mount the roller heads onto the spigots. Acetal is a brilliant material, just wish you could get it in rectangular bar form instead of having to machine it from sheet.

Paul Ive miss laid my mobile have you got Jo's house phone number? if so give me a bell on that mate. If not PM me yours.

Hi Budgie, I cannot pm you for whatever reason. I have sent you a message through bass-online and also I have sent you an e-mail

Edited by tincatinca